PDA

View Full Version : .310 bolt head

handirifle
03-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Is there someone that could make a bolt head for a .310" case head? I have an idea for a LOONG term project, that may or may not turn to reality.

handirifle
03-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

handirifle
03-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I found the "Build" section, and see the reference to PT&G so will look into them.

Hotolds442
03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
It's in the right section, no problem there.
PT&G will probably be your best bet for a custom bolt head, but that diameter may present another issue: extraction. The 223 extractor might work, but if it doesn't there's no alternative except judicial filing and test fitting. They're hardened, and extremely difficult to modify. A grinder would most likely destroy the hardness level if you get it too hot and a file will be slow and tedious. But be sure to start a thread in the build section once you get all of the parts in hand so others can learn by your mistakes/successes.

handirifle
03-27-2016, 07:06 PM
It's in the right section, no problem there.
PT&G will probably be your best bet for a custom bolt head, but that diameter may present another issue: extraction. The 223 extractor might work, but if it doesn't there's no alternative except judicial filing and test fitting. They're hardened, and extremely difficult to modify. A grinder would most likely destroy the hardness level if you get it too hot and a file will be slow and tedious. But be sure to start a thread in the build section once you get all of the parts in hand so others can learn by your mistakes/successes.

Yea especially that part. What I have in mind is basically a centerfire 22 WMR. Thus reloadable, and cheaper to shoot than buy, after a while anyway. Looking around it seems the 5.7x28 brass would provide the proper case capacity, and velocities, but necked down to .224. May not ever see the light of day, since it would not be a cheap conversion. Since pressures would match the WMR, I was even thinking a model 93 might be able to be converted. I think the only mod MIGHT be to convert the bolt from rimfire to centerfire, and maybe opened up enough to handle the .310 case of the 5.7. I think the 1-16 rifling might even be better considering the velocities.

Iw would most likely be a more accurate version, with a huge selection of bullets available in .224. Have not pulled my 93 out to look the bolt over for that idea, so not sure if feasible or not. Just some ramblings in my head. One could even neck it down to .177 I suppose, if they desired. The WMR speeds are more than sufficient for my needs, so the WSM would be out of the question too.

If the 93 would work, it would involve a re-chamber (special reamer), special dies, and bolt mods. Reloading would be starting from scratch, and would need brass and neck thickness trimmer. I think the mags might possibly work without mods, or much anyway. I just really hate the ammo shortage crap and non reloadability of the rimfires. At least anything bigger than a LR.

sharpshooter
03-28-2016, 12:35 AM
The whole idea sounds like a pipe dream to me. Little cases never work right on a standard size action, and they are problematic on a rimfire action. Unless you insist on re-inventing the wheel, I would suggest you buy an Armscorp 22 TCM rifle. It costs less than half the parts you need that won't work anyway.....

handirifle
03-29-2016, 01:54 AM
It may very well be a pipe dream. However, the the 22 TCM gets considerably (by 800fps) higher velocities than I want (faster is not always better in my book) and everything I read says it uses .223 bullets instead of .224, so that is a no-no to me.

But thanks for your enthusiastic support :ballchain:.

Still never hurts to dream or think outside the box, IMHO.

joeb33050
03-29-2016, 06:14 AM
Yea especially that part. What I have in mind is basically a centerfire 22 WMR. Thus reloadable, and cheaper to shoot than buy, after a while anyway. Looking around it seems the 5.7x28 brass would provide the proper case capacity, and velocities, but necked down to .224. May not ever see the light of day, since it would not be a cheap conversion. Since pressures would match the WMR, I was even thinking a model 93 might be able to be converted. I think the only mod MIGHT be to convert the bolt from rimfire to centerfire, and maybe opened up enough to handle the .310 case of the 5.7. I think the 1-16 rifling might even be better considering the velocities.

Iw would most likely be a more accurate version, with a huge selection of bullets available in .224. Have not pulled my 93 out to look the bolt over for that idea, so not sure if feasible or not. Just some ramblings in my head. One could even neck it down to .177 I suppose, if they desired. The WMR speeds are more than sufficient for my needs, so the WSM would be out of the question too.

If the 93 would work, it would involve a re-chamber (special reamer), special dies, and bolt mods. Reloading would be starting from scratch, and would need brass and neck thickness trimmer. I think the mags might possibly work without mods, or much anyway. I just really hate the ammo shortage crap and non reloadability of the rimfires. At least anything bigger than a LR.
22 WMR 50 gr @ 1750 fps, 30 gr @ 2250 fps. This is easily done in a 223 Rem, cheap and easy, brass easy to find. Works for me.
joe .

Robinhood
03-29-2016, 06:23 AM
22 WMR 50 gr @ 1750 fps, 30 gr @ 2250 fps. This is easily done in a 223 Rem, cheap and easy, brass easy to find. Works for me.
joe .

The whole idea sounds like a pipe dream to me. Little cases never work right on a standard size action, and they are problematic on a rimfire action. Unless you insist on re-inventing the wheel, I would suggest you buy an Armscorp 22 TCM rifle. It costs less than half the parts you need that won't work anyway.....

I agree with these fellas.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Just a thought BUT, try opening up a .223 bolt head. Wouldn't take much. I had one opened up for my 6.8 SPC. Extracts like a champ. If you're running a short/smaller case, figure on going single feed.
Reinvent the wheel?? Pipe dream?? Why not? Sure beats sitting around dreaming about it and never knowing if it will work or not. Bolt head, chamber up a barrel and see how it works. Doesn't work out the way you expected? At least you tried. And if it works like you planned? That makes you the WINNER!!

Hotolds442
03-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Just a thought BUT, try opening up a .223 bolt head. Wouldn't take much. I had one opened up for my 6.8 SPC. Extracts like a champ. If you're running a short/smaller case, figure on going single feed.
Reinvent the wheel?? Pipe dream?? Why not? Sure beats sitting around dreaming about it and never knowing if it will work or not. Bolt head, chamber up a barrel and see how it works. Doesn't work out the way you expected? At least you tried. And if it works like you planned? That makes you the WINNER!!
A .310 bolt face is smaller than that of the 223. Already too large to work properly.

Scott Evans
03-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Looking around it seems the 5.7x28 brass would provide the proper case capacity, and velocities, but necked down to .224.

5.7x28 uses 22 cal bullets already, and they are a bit tricky to reload.

Thumper76
03-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Handirifle, look up the .230 Morris Short. That might be something of interest for you....heck, I even stumbled across a reamer and brass for it when I googled it.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Best bet is to go PT&G. Had them build a couple of bolt heads for a 17 VHA. Came without the ejector rod hole because it wouldn't eject like it should anyway so no use making an extra hole. Build it the way YOU want.

handirifle
03-30-2016, 12:35 AM
I agree with these fellas.

I have tried a dozen or so of the reduced 223 loads and none are as accurate as the 93 in WMR I already have. That is what got me wondering. It may very well be it's way too much money but time will tell.

I had a few folks asking me why, when I wanted to build a dump trailer to tow behind my quad. Why not buy a cheap Harbor Freight trailer? My answer was because I wanted it MY WAY. Besides it's half the cost it would have been to buy anything close to it.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/In%20tow_zpswojnqcd7.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/Metal%20and%20wood_zpszoz2ltes.jpg

handirifle
03-30-2016, 12:47 AM
Best bet is to go PT&G. Had them build a couple of bolt heads for a 17 VHA. Came without the ejector rod hole because it wouldn't eject like it should anyway so no use making an extra hole. Build it the way YOU want.

Interesting reading on the 17 VHA. Never heard of it before. What I find interesting is the first pic in this thread. http://www.smallcaliberclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

Seems I'm not the only dreamer. This case is still a lot faster than I want, but the concept is identical. The Rem even uses a PTG bolt head for the.....wait for it....5.7x28. Will keep looking, thanks for the heads up.

If I built this I would not be too concerned with extraction, since it would most likely be a single shot, when it was in this caliber. Shoot wanna talk dreamers, go over to the GBO forums and read of guys turning rimfire HMR barrels into centerfire 17 cal barrels. A little simpler, maybe, but that's what dreams are for. People told the Wright brothers, they were dreaming too. Not looking to mass produce anything, just for me.

Hotolds442
03-30-2016, 12:55 AM
You're gonna need some extraction, it's ejection you probably don't need.
Get your terminology right before you talk to PT&G or you'll be mighty disappointed in the end result.

handirifle
03-30-2016, 12:57 AM
The Morris was designed (it says) for a heeled bullet, like a 22LR uses. I want to be able to use the small varmint bullets in .224. For improved accuracy, mainly, and availability.

I FULLY understand the little cases will be tricky to reload, but I am patient when loading. It would be a blast to have something like that. At least I think so. :)

handirifle
03-30-2016, 01:27 AM
Midway has several models of dies for the 5.7 and the case may be usable without any mods, the more I read on it. Also took a long look at my model 93 and I am starting to think it might be the perfect platform for this conversion. I fired off an email to PT&G about it either way. So I will see what they have to say.

With the 93, it will take the pressures involved, it will most likely feed them from the magazine, that remains unseen though, as the WMR case is only 24mm. If not that is no big deal. Single shot in that rifle is even easier. I think it would only take reaming the chamber since the bore dia of the WMR is .224 instead of .223 like the LR. If PT&G likes my idea, I will look for a used donor in WMR.

handirifle
03-30-2016, 01:55 AM
Well after doing a bit more research, the 5.7 case would have MAX pressure a lot higher than the WMR, so I could not start with their load data for the 93, if at all. Might end up going back the to model 11. Would be bolt head and chambered barrel that way, as opposed to donor rifle and new bolt the other......