PDA

View Full Version : Shilen dgr vs big horn tl2 tactical

crittercontrol
03-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Looking to build my own rifle as much as possible. It will be for tactical and sniper matches. Currently looking at either the shilen dgr or the big horn tactical which is going to be released in june/July according to the nice lady on the phone. Problem is I want a switch barrel. Shilen wants $500 for a new bolt with head and discourages swapping just bolt heads. (Although I am suppose to receive an email with price for just the heads) Big horn sells different bolt heads for $125 so the prices start to get closer. Anyone have input on the dgr? Hard to find many reviews on them? I'm leaning towards the bighorn bit am wanting more info before purchasing. Any input on these two would be great. Also going to see if big horn would be able to make a Large shank barrel version.

LongRange
03-24-2016, 04:43 PM
its the TL3 that will come out in june/july..i really liked the improvements they did to the TL3...and no sense going large shank as small shanks are easier to find...if you plan to shoot tactical matches dont buy the shilen you will have extraction issues...lonewolf can tell you more about the shilen issues.

also why not just go with a surgeon,defiance,stiller tac 30 ect that uses remington threads? if you want to do it yourself just use a remage nut.

LoneWolf
03-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Or do what I did and get an ARC M5 aka Mausingfield. It's still my favorite out of all that was listed. I've plaid with just about all of them. The TL3 is looking sweet though too!

crittercontrol
03-24-2016, 11:36 PM
I like the floating head as well, and i have a few large shank barrels already so a large shank would be nice. Same answer for the remage... i already have multiple savage large shanks and would like to be able to use them as well. And as dumb as it sounds, i dont like the defiance deviant because of...the looks. I hate the octagonal look although i know they get good reviews, the barrel threads are a little deeper on the big horn too as well arent they? allowing it to handle the heavier barrels better? I will look into the mausingfield. I have come across that name a few times. What extraction issues were you having LoneWolf?

LoneWolf
03-24-2016, 11:47 PM
All the Shilen is, is a R700 footprint with a Savage bolt head and raceways. I tried everything to get that action to run. I was a pain trying to feed from the magazine. I had to manually extract/eject rounds as it only work if perfectly upright. And it would bind all the time unless you pushed the bolt forward with your thumb on the bolt shroud. So really it's just a prettier Savage Action, but carries all the same weaknesses in the bolt design which is just not reliable in the environment and abusive work that actions are put through in the tactical matches. I was losing the majority of points with rounds sitting in the magazine due to cycling issues. Rifle was incredibly accurate, but that only matters if the action cycles and feeds reliably!

The bottleneck TL3 and M5 do not suffer from the same draw backs. I like the M5 due to its robustness and it's based on the best technologies ever put into a bolt action.

There's a lot of great actions out there. But the tactical matches require something that is reliable in any clime and place.

crittercontrol
03-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Thanks lonewolf for the first hand experiences. I will stay away from the shilen, Sounds like the new bighorn is a better choice, and i looked at the mausingfield and its a bulky looking beast for sure. What is on the rear of the bolt? It looks like it has a small rod next to the firing pin assembly. Anything else i should keep in mind as this is my first build for a tactical purposed rifle. Any common issues people run into?

LoneWolf
03-25-2016, 12:07 AM
The M5 is based on the Mauser. So it has a little spring piston that helps with primary extraction. Action is very fast.

Are you looking to run a Stock or a Chassis? Whichever you choose you'll want something with a flat bottom forend. It will shoot better off bags and barricades that way.

And PM me if you're interested in an XLR Element. I have one for a R700 SA I'm trying to sell.

crittercontrol
03-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Im planning on running a chassis, currently looking towards a masterpiece arms. I just got a mcree for dirt cheap for a savage 6br with criterion barrel. But this is a year long project as fund are tight.

LoneWolf
03-25-2016, 12:46 AM
I understand. The MPA Chassis' are very nice!

crittercontrol
03-25-2016, 12:50 AM
They look like it. I love the block to push up against ledges/barricades. I just wish there was a way to get a hold of a few different chassis. I shoot with my thumb on the same side as opposed to wrapped around the grip and the mcree isnt very friendly to shooting with the thumb not wrapped, the MPA chassis has a small groove for this but I want to know how comfortable it really is.

LoneWolf
03-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Also consider the KRG Whiskey 3 or X-Ray. They have a nice thumb shelf too. I've found that the McMillan A5/Manners grips are most comfortable and are the easiest for me to shoot.

crittercontrol
03-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Will do. I appreciate the insight. I have looked into the KRG, and I am one of those people that hate going with the masses (AI), I also do not like iPhones.. Im going to try and make it to some of the matches we have around here at a place called Rayners range in SE Ohio this year to hopefully handle a couple different chassis, although they seem to only have AI and then a bunch of composite stocks.