PDA

View Full Version : Axis stocks

Slater
03-23-2016, 07:13 AM
I've heard a lot of comments on the quality of Axis stocks and how many folks replace it fairly quickly with an aftermarket stock. Is it really that bad or is it otherwise useable?

pisgah
03-23-2016, 07:31 AM
The main problem I see with the stocks is for those who want to use a bipod. For a bipod, the forend is too skinny and flexible, and that is why the preponderance of posts about modifying the stock focus on stiffening the forend. If like me you use the Axis as a lightweight hunting rifle and have no use for a bipod, the standard stock is fine.

foxx
03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
^^^ yep. and the pistol grip is a little small for me and flexes under recoil. However, they do shoot, and shoot well. As far as I am concerned, EVERYTHING Savage makes for deer-size game hunting out to 300 yards is plenty good. I don't think anyone makes a rifle that can beat them for that.

I would not hesitate to recommend you buying one and giving it a try. If you don't like the stock, $150 Boyds stock should be all you'll ever need to make it all you'll ever want in a utility hunting rifle.

pisgah
03-23-2016, 02:23 PM
^^^ yep. and the pistol grip is a little small for me and flexes under recoil.

Even though I never felt any flex, I was concerned the design of the grip might affect accuracy before I ever read any comments to that effect, so I "solidified" that area -- and found absolutely no change in the feel or in accuracy.

triehl27
03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Slater,

There is a $3.99 fix to the flex in the OEM stock.

Rockite. Available at Ace Hardware fro $3.99. It's a cementing compound, mix with small amounts of water til you have a past, and fill in the forend to the top of the internal dividers.

No More Flex.

I have a Heavy Barrel 308, that I spend $300+ on a Boyds custom stock, but due the to weight of that custom stock I decided to stick with the OEM for deer season.

The Rockite adds 3-4oz to the forend, but the flex is GONE. and 3-4oz in the field is preferable to the LBS added with the Boyds stock for me.

mikec1911
03-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Here's my $.02.....FWIW
I hear all the BS about the stock flexing....and here is my experience. Don't put the bi-pod on the **** sling lug. if you put the bipod or any other item, ( bag, block, tree branch etc..) under the tip of ANY synthetic free floating stock, it will flex and effect the accuracy. I rest my .223/.308 right in front of the mag well, which is right under the recoil lug and I shoot 300yds all day long with zero issues. I also let other people that want to try 2/300 yds shoot my rifles and they hit steel **** near every time. These rifles are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned, you just cannot beat the price. Massage the trigger at your comfort level and its a dream to shoot.

foxx
03-23-2016, 06:03 PM
^^^^ absolutely

DrThunder88
03-24-2016, 02:31 AM
I don't like the factory plastic because it feels cheesy and the cheekweld is insufficient for all but the smallest of scopes. Even the 2-7x33mm scope I have on my .338 Federal is a little too high without a cheek pad, and the bolt handle sometimes contacts the ocular bell. Boyds stocks are also too low, but I feel better about drilling them for a riser.

I have yet to try a plastic stock with a bipod, mostly because the cheekweld issue prevents me from trying to shoot for group size, but when I load my bipod, I'm usually pushing forward rather than down.

SHADOWofDEATHx3
03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
I thought flex would not be a problem shooting prone on a rest bag, but it was. I shoot in the desert, and was getting a lot of flex with the warm weather. Shooting cross-arm, with the lightest touch helped counter flex.

Predator53
03-25-2016, 11:43 PM
Ive had my 243 for 2 years now and did notice the flex out on the range,I mostly hunt coyotes and shoot it at the range monthly,the rifle is a tack driver ,but I do use bipods all the time so I did all the modifications that you could do to it without buying a new stock and honestly it improved the rifle and its a tack driver out to 300 yards so far..I intent to make it out to 500 + yards in the next few months...so yes it's a ok stock it your just going to hunt with it,but if you want to see the full potential of the rifle you 'll needs to do some modifications in the future.

DarkEarth
04-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I have the Axis II in .270. Could not mount a bi-pod. I got a Boyds classic stock. Much better tightened up my groups as well.

vet2260
04-23-2016, 07:32 PM
I have both and the reason is sometimes I like to have something different the Boyds is a heavy stock and I did the Rocktite to the Factory stock but put a extra sling mount just for the bipod back farther and it stabilized the stock out even more.. If you want to save the $$$$$ just go to Ace and get the rocktite..