PDA

View Full Version : 110 stock question

Edwards
03-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Just found a laminated stock in our local "buy/sell". It was stated that it fit a 110...i just happen to have one and thought why not. My problem is it doesn't match up to receiver. BTW...both, gun and stock, are short actions. Ok. so i realize my gun is a 1st gen due to it's age. The stock looks to be 2nd gen based on the hole.

The stock will not receive the receiver for even a dry fit...forget the holes...the trigger group is too large.

My question is...from 1st gen to 2nd gen did the trigger group change? Or have I been sold an unknown stock?

foxx
03-22-2016, 11:57 AM
When buying stocks for short actions you first must determine WHICH short action you have because the action screw spacing is different.

Older style, "stagger feed" short actions have a slightly shorter spacing and a different magazine configuration. Newer "center feed" short action screw spacing is 4.41 inches or so.

Check out the FAQ section here for more info.

Here is one that discusses the various action lengths: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

Hotolds442
03-22-2016, 12:04 PM
It sounds like you have a short action factory built on a long action before Savage developed the true short action. You need a stock for a long action, and they all have the same bolt spacing.

Sponxx
03-22-2016, 01:37 PM
It sounds like you have a short action factory built on a long action before Savage developed the true short action. You need a stock for a long action, and they all have the same bolt spacing.

My interpretation too.
Savage 110 means long action, any 3 digit, as far as I know actually. I purchased a 243 built on a 110, that one will need a "long action" stock, has a metal lip in the action, so still uses a small blind mag box. Short actions are trickier, as there is a bunch of different inletting for different bolt spacing.

Edwards
03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
I'll go back and verify, but I almost certain it's 110E, I know chambered for .308. Several years ago, I purchased a long action stock for this gun and had to do some xtra work on the metal lathe to make it look descent because of the bolt spacing. I'll also see if I can learn to post a pic.
At this point, I can't tell if the mag will fit the cutout because of the width of the receiver vs the stock.

foxx
03-22-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't think the width of the action should change between any of the 10/110 models UNLESS your stock happens to be a walnut stock meant for the Light Weight Hunter. I have noticed the LWH stock is narrower than other 10/110's presumably due to the fact the LWH action is machined differently. (It's sides are fluted or has been milled narrower on the dies to save weight. Beautiful stocks and beautiful action, but not a good fit for other 10/110 actions.)

Edwards
03-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Guys, went back and confirmed its a 110E. On a more detail look, I think the trigger would fit if the mag box area was hogood out. I did find a rubber pad in front of the front bolt. It has the following on it....in reverse.

Bridgeville, PA
US patent...M or H S0312

I've checked and ER Shaw is located in Bridgeville...so I'm going to give them a call in the morning.

Edwards
03-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Just found the guys # and texted him. The stock is from the following.
ER Shaw MK7 build on a Savage 10 action