offtarget
03-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Need help, don 't know what I need. Don't load
Huge amount of ammo. Don't want to break the
bank.
Thanks for your help!

gbflyer
03-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Question: do you have a chamber cut with a tight neck?

offtarget
03-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Don't know. Rifle is a stock Savage 10 Tactical heavy barrel in 308. I am pretty green on lot's
Of this stuff on getting it as accurate as possible.

Thanks for help

m12lrs
03-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Neck turning would be the last step for.me in the.search for accuracy

First step is quality brass. Preferably lapua. That pretty much eliminates brass prep

243LPR
03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
I only neck turn for my custom barrels. You won't notice a difference in a factory type barrel.

Hair_Boxers
03-21-2016, 10:36 PM
How does it shoot now?

What dies are you using?

How much tuning have you done with powder charge and seating depth?

yobuck
03-22-2016, 03:28 PM
You wont need to turn the necks on cases with factory made guns.
Even many custom chambers are what is known as a (no turn neck chamber).
The average handloader will actually never need to purchase neck turning tools.
To illustrate that point, take a fired case from the gun, and without resizing it take a bullet
or even a loaded cartridge and insert the pointed end of the bullet into the fired case.
Chances are on factory guns the bullet will drop right into the case with no resistance.
A small amount of resistance would indicate a snug no turn neck.
To further remove more from the case by turning the neck, might lead to not being able to
seat the bullet properly without a bushing type seating die. So reality is that to just willy nilly turn
the case necks without an actual need to do so, could end up making the brass unusable with standard dies.
The limiting factor as for accuracy for most of us, is in how well we shoot more so than how we load.

Robinhood
03-23-2016, 06:15 AM
Some people turn for neck concentricity and even neck tension even though they have the needed clearance. Some do it because they neck something down and they want to thin the necks and remove the deviations.

Maztech89
03-25-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm in agreement with the above posters but to answer your question Sinclair and K&M make very nice neck turning tools. Remember you will need a matching expander mandrel to do it correctly.

bigedp51
03-25-2016, 06:21 PM
offtarget

As others have said above with a off the shelf factory chamber neck turning is a waste of time. The same applies with bushing dies and factory chambers, if you reduce the case neck .005 or more you will induce neck runout with a bushing die.

Below is a Remington .223 case that has .004 case neck thickness variation, a case like this is used as blasting ammo in my AR15 rifles and I do nothing to these type cases.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMG_2136_zps079ece9b.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMG_2137_zps66bcfc13.jpg

Turning the neck on low quality case like above is a total waste of time and nothing will be gained.

The case above had .004 variation so look at the case illustration with .0025 variation below. Even after neck turning the case is still not aligned with the axis of the bore

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/neckcenter_zps94286f86.jpg

I have the Redding neck thickness gauge below and it will tell you more about the quality of your brass than anything else. With just one 360 degree spin of the case you can sort your cases for better quality and accuracy. Then combine this with a good runout gauge you will have all the information you need "without" neck turning. And as said above if you buy better quality brass like Lapua you don't need to do any case prep work.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/reddingneckgaugex250_zps88727434.jpg

Below checking neck runout after sizing, if the neck runout equals the neck thickness variation I know I have a concentric case and a straight neck.
(and no neck turning)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/runout003_zpsd19b7cc3.jpg

Hair_Boxers
03-28-2016, 08:28 PM
offtarget

Below checking neck runout after sizing, if the neck runout equals the neck thickness variation I know I have a concentric case and a straight neck.
(and no neck turning)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/runout003_zpsd19b7cc3.jpg

Was checking out the RCBS Case Master (that's what you are using for case neck runout, right?) online to learn more about how it works as it looks handy.

Question for you that I couldn't find a clear answer to in my searching - does it measure from the center line of the case or just off the case neck itself?

Robinhood
03-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Neck Run Out in the example Mr ed posted is relative to the outside diameter of the body of the case. Both ends are set in a V-Block in his example or on bearings in others. The Hornady bullet RO gauge is different.

Hair_Boxers
03-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Neck Run Out in the example Mr ed posted is relative to the outside diameter of the body of the case. Both ends are set in a V-Block in his example or on bearings in others. The Hornady bullet RO gauge is different.

Ok, that's what I was thinking but hadn't solidified in my head for some reason. So the measurement is accurate as long as there are no issues with the case from head to shoulder. Without the neck thickness gauge as Mr. Ed posts above you don't really know if it's a neck thickness or concentricity issue.

I love learning new stuff, which is one of the reasons I reload.

Robinhood
03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
If you use a real indicator as in a test (last word type) indicator, you could check the Id and the od using an index mark, you would have a good idea of the variations in wall thickness. Not the easiet way but certainly possible.

Hair_Boxers
03-29-2016, 01:32 PM
If you use a real indicator as in a test (last word type) indicator, you could check the Id and the od using an index mark, you would have a good idea of the variations in wall thickness. Not the easiet way but certainly possible.

Interesting. Fun to learn about measurement and gauges. Seems like Mr. Ed has a great system in place to figure concentricity and neck thickness relatively quickly. I would assume that if you are doing that and are having issues the next step would be to do as you suggest and use a last word type indicator to see if you had a non-concentric chamber or sizing die.

Part of me enjoys the prep and process as much as the shooting. I am not even set up with a rifle, let alone the skills, to really benefit from doing it all but it's fun.

yobuck
03-29-2016, 05:14 PM
It might be fun and meaningfull knowledge, but still akin to an attempt to beautify Miss Piggy as for the original question.

lal357
03-30-2016, 10:04 PM
i got to where i turn my necks to clean them up even my lapua then i use a bushing die so i get .002 neck tension. i have found most of lapua brass 308win ranges from .014 to .015 so i set it up to turn them to .014 .i also make my 6.5creedmoor brass out of lclr brass and turn them down so they will chamber.

Bunky-Shooter
03-31-2016, 05:29 AM
I would not be concerned with turning down the necks if you are not sizing down. Example; (308Win to 260Rem) Resize your casings, trim the necks, clean the primer
pockets, give em a through cleaning and you should be good to go..