PDA

View Full Version : For those who have done a 300rum out of a 110 LA, or anyone who may know

micus
03-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Hi there, I did a quick search on the subject and didn't specifically see what I was looking for so here it goes.

I have a 110 in 300wm that I am making a bit of a project out of.

I have pillar /glass bedded the action, floated the tang etc,

ordered a rifle basix Sav -1 trigger

will have a Farrel 20moa rail on its way this week.

I would like to order a Shilen 300rum prechamber barrel and do the swap to the Ultra, however, I need the guns magazine to still function. Will a 300Rum work in the 300Wm internal box or is there some kind of modifying I need to do to make this happen?

thanks a ton!

Mike.

yobuck
03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Id be taking a recess on the whole idea of changing from one excellent cartridge to another of the same caliber.
You will pick up some velocity when switching to the rum, but not enough to make you much happier than you should be now.
And there will be trade offs for what you gain. Finding brass just for starters.

Hotolds442
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-12730.html

There's a 300 RUM Savage factory rifle in the classifieds, but you have to be a paid member to access it....

The RUM actions do have a longer magazine box and the bottom of the receiver is opened up a little more.

geezerhood
03-20-2016, 09:42 PM
The easiest way that I know of to get there is to buy a chassis that accepts the extra long AIC magazines made for the 300 RUM, then alter the feed ramp of your existing action until it feeds reliably. Very easy modification that can be done with hand tools, much superior feeding than anything Savage offers as far as feeding a 300 RUM case, plus you can seat long bullets out further than any factory setup.

I am not a fan of the 300 WM. I strongly dislike belted magnums, so for me it would be a worthwhile upgrade. Plus an extra 300 fps is kind of fun.

micus
03-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Interesting, I haven't looked into any chasis like you mentioned, that would be a good route to go. Although the WM can still sling 200 + gr Bergers at respectable velocities. To be honest, I was hoping the RUM's would feed out of the 300wm box. Any ideas on that or am I stuck using an aftermarket chassis? If that's the case I may end up doing a 6.5-300

geezerhood
03-22-2016, 10:16 AM
You might be able to feed one round of the top with the bullet extending beyond the magazine, but the mag box is too short to hold a loaded 300 RUM cartridge. You need to get a 300 RUM mag box, then open up the mag area of the action to fit it. The easiest way would be to go with the center feed box that sits in the stock so you don't have to mill out the slots to hold the stagger feed box (Does Savage make one?) retaining lips into the action, just open it up and adjust the feed ramp until it cycles which is very easy to do.

Both of my fairly old Savage factory 300 RUM mag boxes were made by Savage out of two 300 Win Mag boxes cut and TIG welded to get the extra length. They have 300 Win stamped on them.

You might also look for a used take off LRH stock with the 338 Lapua bottom metal. That will turn your 300 Win into a 300 RUM fairly cheaply. For the chassis or a take off LRH stock and bottom metal, Accurate Mag makes an extra long 300 RUM magazine which is what I use for mine that feeds perfectly.

yobuck
03-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Interesting, I haven't looked into any chasis like you mentioned, that would be a good route to go. Although the WM can still sling 200 + gr Bergers at respectable velocities. To be honest, I was hoping the RUM's would feed out of the 300wm box. Any ideas on that or am I stuck using an aftermarket chassis? If that's the case I may end up doing a 6.5-300

Ask some questions with regard to the 6.5x300 wsm (before) you try that would be my advise.
Its too bad more people cant actually watch as the various cartridges are shot at the longer distances.
A few hundred ft per second in velocity wont make major differences as to how far you will shoot the same bullet.
Try shooting lighter bullets like 190s in the win mag before you change. The additional velocity will offset the bc
to a point. It will in other words improve the lower bc number of the 190s.

micus
03-23-2016, 12:34 AM
thank you gentlemen. LOTS to think about now.

Iowa Fox
03-23-2016, 02:01 AM
thank you gentlemen. LOTS to think about now.

Look at all the places that sell brass. This brass thing just isn't good.

CDiPrecision
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi, the RUM uses a larger case than the 300 WM, Rim Dia is the same. We do them alot in our DBM with AI mags..we have to slot the mags for the longer shoulder but that's no biggie. You need a 338 Lapua AI mag either regular OAL or CIP OAL. the Standard 338 OAL is 3.600" the CIP max OAL is 3.750". that's the ticket and we can help you out here.