PDA

View Full Version : Something just occurred to me (ocw)

doctnj
03-19-2016, 09:56 AM
So I had worked up loads on two rifles which I took apart and sent to Fred to have timed and trued. So all of the ammo I had loaded with the ocw load that are on my shelf are no good any more? Or could it just be a seating depth issue? I figure the barrel is the same. The harmonics should remain pretty much unchanged. Maybe a possible few thousandths difference in head space from before to after. I mean I have it loaded and plan to shoot it. My 338 was more accurate than its ever been before I took it apart, or I should say, my local smith took apart. Just hope it still works well with the load I worked up. I have the chamber space measured from before so I plan on re checking it when they get back. If they are slightly shorter Ill just bump the bullet depth to compensate. This should work right?

Oh and one more thing off topic. Today is my daughters birthday. Here is her present. Ya think she will know what it is?

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/Mobile%20Uploads/20160318_200206.jpg

LoneWolf
03-19-2016, 10:24 AM
I've shot the same load, in the same barrel, on 3 different actions before without an issue. Just make sure they chamber normally and give them a try!

hafejd30
03-19-2016, 10:29 AM
You should be g2g. As long as the headspace isn't set so tight that you can't chamber a round. If you neck size only this may be an issue. The throat/chamber isn't getting reamed so the round will still fit the chamber as it did before. Same jump to lands and what not. I've shot barrels/pulled apart/put the barrel on another action and ran the original reloads through it. That was neck sizing also. But I set the headspace and checked with a sized case after tightening barrel. The oal of the brass shoulder to the ogive of the
Bullet remained the same

LongRange
03-19-2016, 10:36 AM
also you may want to seat bullets .002 deeper in the loaded rounds you have before shooting them in the rifle when you get it back.

doctnj
03-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Good stuff! That's a load off.
Can't wait to get them back and see what difference there is, if any. The competition triggers will be nice. I really enjoy shooting the 338. It makes it feel like your shooting a "real" gun.

hafejd30
03-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Agreed. Load testing with mine last week. My shoulder was bruised/inside of my cheek was bleeding but I was all smiles lol. I shoot mine like I do my 260. More lying on the gun rather than really seating it into the shoulder

doctnj
03-19-2016, 10:08 PM
You know shooting the 338 with the even with the accutrigger was nice. It was turned down and was pretty darn nice. BUT, then I had the misfortune of getting a jewel trigger and all the accutriggers became junk overnight. Thats why I sent my 6.5 cm and 338 off to get trued and have competition triggers mounted on them. If they are any where around their estimated time, they should be finished at the end of next week or so. we will see.

bearcatrp
03-20-2016, 12:02 AM
where did you send it off the get trued? How much?

doctnj
03-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Sharp shooter supply. Their prices are on the Web page but I think it was about 160 per.

doctnj
03-20-2016, 09:36 AM
You have to get a reservation and authorization code. From what Ive been told, they used to take a lot more at any given time and took a really long time to get them done. Supposedly, with the reservation system, they take in only what can be completed in a few weeks vs a few months. From the time I emailed them it took two or three months before I could send them in. So I got to shoot them for that time period and I am expecting them back at end of this month or first week of next. You can strip your action down and send just the action with bolt or pay extra for them to take apart and but back together. Since I dont own any of the wrenches, vice, or have gauges for reassembly, I hired a local smith to take them apart and put them back together when they get back. But be advised, I failed to ask how much he charged ahead of time and was shocked at how much he wanted after he had them apart. It was my fault so I had to pay although he did come down 50 bucks after I told him what SSS charged. Which SSS was cheaper even after the 50. But I saved on shipping both directions. Live and learn.

roscoe69
03-23-2016, 10:03 AM
gift wrap looks like a bicycle, she will be surprised.