PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Iron sight removal Savage Model 5?

Turbolung
03-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Hope I'm not annoying y'all with the questions..and I search the forums here before posting..buy do any of you know how the rear iron sight is removed on my beloved model 5? I have tried tapping it out of the dovetail with a flat head screw driver and hammer..and I'm afraid if I strike it any harder I will damage it. I was able to lift and swing it either direction..but not enough to mount a scope.

Mad Dog
03-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Don't use a screwdriver, use a brass punch.

You have to hit it out of the dovetail from the left side driving it right to remove it.

Turbolung
03-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Just to be clear..ita a right handed model..is the left side the side opposite of the bolt? And thanks for your help MadDog..

Mad Dog
03-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Yes the opposite side of the bolt and drive it towards the bolt side.

Turbolung
03-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Hmmm..it must really be stuck cause that's the side I was pounding on it and never budged. Just in case...its the sight with the lil round disc at front of it and larger disc in middle that you can pry up on and slide to the right or left..so..Mad Dog..do you have one of these? I'd ya do I could really use your help with a few questions I'm trying to find an answer to..

Mad Dog
03-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Don't have a model 5, but I do have models 6 and 7S.

I'm not real sure what sights your talking about, can you post pics or email them to me?