PDA

View Full Version : Help out once again

cwop
03-17-2016, 07:33 PM
I have been tinkering with a 20practicle rig for quite some time now probably 5 or more years. In this time I have had 2 major surgeries and lost interest but now am back. Finally I figured out I needed a 223 boltface for my target action and the 20p barrel. When I first got this rig I headspaced it with a ptg gauge that was with the wrong bolthead so now I have to reheadspace not a big deal.

I am now thinking since I have 100 pieces of good new Lapua brass I am going to headspace to that of course putting the piece of tape on the brass as a no go. Would you experienced guys do this I personally think it would be better but open to all comments? Would you go ahead and resize the brass to the 20practicle before headspacing? When and if I sell this rifle I am going to include the brass with the rifle. I also am not going to use the ejector as I think it will be easier on my brass and not having to chase down empties!

At 74 I did my first bolthead swap so I guess I am now a brother in the brotherhood. It was certainly interesting I can say that!!

All comments appreciated you guys have been real good to me

bob

Hotolds442
03-17-2016, 08:36 PM
You should be fine setting the headspace to the new brass, just don't get over aggressive when running it through the sizing die the first time. Personally, I'd set the sizing die up to neck size only.

darkker
03-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Headspace has nothing to do with the size of the body, so do a FL size and set it. That will leave you at minimum, so DON'T crush the brass when tightening things down.

... How long were you shooting with the wrong bolt head??

short round
03-17-2016, 08:54 PM
If you are using 223 brass, the neck needs sized to fit the chamber.

cwop
03-17-2016, 09:03 PM
I have never shot this rifle every time I would get into it I would get sick and laid up for a year or 2 about the time I could do anything I would get bad sick again. I am anxious to see what this bad boy will do!!

Hotolds442
03-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Headspace has nothing to do with the size of the body, so do a FL size and set it. That will leave you at minimum, so DON'T crush the brass when tightening things down.

... How long were you shooting with the wrong bolt head??
True, as long as you don't push the shoulder.....

darkker
03-18-2016, 12:03 AM
Thus my caution to NOT crush the case.
It still concerns me that for apparently 5 years he was unaware of the correct bolt head needed.... Are you sure you are up for a headspace job?