PDA

View Full Version : Whioch Savage rifle for .223

UK-Shootist
03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm looking for a .223 rifle and as I have a .308 F/TR Savage I am a big fan of the barrel nut arrangement as well as the bolt head system. Trouble is, I don't know which models have the same arrangement. I also want a magazine for 10 rounds. So, help is requested in identifying those models that fit this specification.

TIA

Robinhood
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
223 FT/R for same arrangement.

This is what is sold in the US.http://http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

UK-Shootist
03-19-2016, 04:48 AM
Thanks, but that doesn't quite provide a solution. I am hoping to find a used Savage rifle that takes a magazine and has an action length to suit a .223 but has a shot out barrel. That way I can get it re-barrelled with a preferred twist rate and length barrel, have a magazine facility, and still be significantly cheaper than buying another F/TR rifle that doesn't quite fit my needs. The pictures of various Savage rifles currently available do not make clear if the barrel nut and bolt head arrangement are used in every one.

Robinhood
03-19-2016, 08:12 AM
As long as you stay with the 10, 11, 12, 14 and 16 models you are good to go. WSM's and of the target actions use a large "shank" barrel threads but the bolt heads are interchangeable on all most of the bolts. There were some with different firing pin diameters and the WSMs had different length pins. Some of the newer finer models had a cocking indicator in the back of the bolt and from what I hear is, on some of the newer cheaper models they have a non adjustable firing pin. The top release arrangement seems to be more popular due to the trigger guard issues. I believe what I've stated to be fairly accurate and hope I did not misrepresent anything. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Jamie
03-19-2016, 08:00 PM
The pictures of various Savage rifles currently available do not make clear if the barrel nut and bolt head arrangement are used in every one.

All of them have this arrangement. The two digit model numbers represent short actions and the three digit models are long actions. Years ago Savage did make long action 223s. I am unsure if any current models for 223 Rem have a 10 round magazine from the factory but there are some aftermarket setups that will. There are variations in firing pin size that may come into play if you go plan to change the bolt head but someone more knowledgeable on that part will have to chime in.

handirifle
03-21-2016, 04:35 PM
I might be wrong, but I think 10 round detachable mags are all aftermarket. As was said all Savages use the barrel nut, and same style bolt head. Heads are slightly different base on cartridge head size.