PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a firing pin from?

tomme boy
03-17-2016, 12:58 AM
My 223 HB has had problems sense day one from piercing primers. Well it started to eat the tip away and it got really bad. So I took the bolt apart and smoothed up the tip and switched primers to CCI mag as they are thicker than the standard CCI SR ones. Anyway I am having problems with light hits. It is about 1 in 50 that does not go off. The mag primers solved the piercing problem but the real problem is the oversized firing pin hole that started all of this.

Brownells does not list a part for this. So am I going to have to order from Savage or should I just send them the rifle and let them deal with all of it?

Or is there a way I can adjust the pin to make the protrusion longer?

DrThunder88
03-17-2016, 04:07 AM
If you modified the firing pin, I don't know if Savage is going to do any work for you.

I also believe the firing pin is one of the restricted parts on Savage's website. Some have said you can send them a letter or a form of some sort to acknowledge you know what you are doing, but they have flat out told me they wouldn't sell it to me unless I was a dealer. Maybe they saw my project videos.

The easiest way to increase protrusion without a new pin would be to trim the rear of the bolt head shank, but that bolt head would need to be matched with that firing pin forever. My choice would probably be a new firing pin if I could get it.

short round
03-17-2016, 01:50 PM
I apologize for answering a question with a question. Can the new style nonadjustable firing pin be replaced with the old style adjustable? If so that may be the best fix. OOPS I forgot I was in Axis , will not work.

Texas10
03-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Just went through the same issue with my model 12FV. Firing pin was too loose in the bolt head, and cratered or pierced primers even at mild loads. Pin measured .0675 and hole in bolt head was .073.

Long story short, and after two trips back to the factory and not getting it fixed, I signed a liability waiver and bought 6 firing pins from Savage. Measured them all and installed the best fitting one of the bunch. At $2.00 each I got it fixed for under twenty bucks.

Shot it yesterday and no more cratering, even at max charge wt.

Call customer service and offer to sign a waiver. They'll sell you as many firing pins as you want to buy.