PDA

View Full Version : Padded cheek rest

handirifle
03-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there for you guys. My '06 hunting rifle, was the first I actually set up so that when I plop my cheek on the stock, it is aligned perfectly with the scope. In order to do this, I had to use 2 1/4" cheek rest pads stacked, to make it work.

Fast forward, I want to do this to another stock for this rifle, AND on another rifle, but looking online the pads ar $15.99 each, plus shipping. No thanks, not spending $32 for rubber pads.

So I at first bought (believe it or not) a Yoga matt, with the idea of layering it to work. It is 1/8" thick, so lots of layers. Well today, I was in a local OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware store) and back by the metal/wiring area, they had sheets of what they call sponge rubber. This stuff is EXACTLY like my recoil pads. They sell it for $1.49 per QTSF (quarter square foot) or 6"x6". I bought 3 squares in line, so 6"x18" at 1/2" thick. The sheets come in thicknesses from 1/8" to 1/2". So I spent $4.50 for enough material to make 2 pads of proper thickness (for me) enough to do 2 rifles, that would have cost me $64 to do. I will use spray on adhesive to stick them on.

I will post more info when I have actually put them on.

I used the original pad for 4 years now and in addition to a nice recoil pad, that cheek rest REALLY tames the ole '06's recoil. It's shoots nicer than the 243 now.

GaCop
03-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Good information. I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar and now know how to do it. Thanks!

Kingair001
03-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Posts some pics of your 'project' !

joeb33050
03-17-2016, 03:21 PM
On my Savage 10 and 12 rifles the stock is fine = fits my face for offhand, but needs to be higher for the bench. I use pieces of foam pipe insulation of different thicknesses, split and put together and held on the stock with a rubber band. Easy on and off, cheap, fast. Home depot.

Kingair001
03-17-2016, 03:22 PM
On my Savage 10 and 12 rifles the stock is fine = fits my face for offhand, but needs to be higher for the bench. I use pieces of foam pipe insulation of different thicknesses, split and put together and held on the stock with a rubber band. Easy on and off, cheap, fast. Home depot.
This works 😉

handirifle
03-17-2016, 11:21 PM
I get that, but wanted something a bit more reliable. These things feel really nice on the face too. I will post pics a bit later, heading out to work on one now.

handirifle
03-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Mine is lined up for bench or offhand, or sitting. When I put my cheek to it, it is perfectly aligned to the scope. 2 years ago that got me a nice buck.

I had jumped him and was tracking him into the foothills. I followed him across a brush covered hillside. I stopped in-between some brush to scan the area around, checking the sports I "thought" he might hole up. I say thought, because just as I was turning around, thinking he had crossed over another hillside, I caught a glimpse of him. He was actually laying under a tree about 50yds from me, STARING at me, but on high alert. In one smooth motion, I turned, shouldering the rifle as I turned, and also raising the rifle at the same time. I went from 3/4 turn away from him with rifle pointed to the ground, to twisting around at the waist, and having rifle at shoulder and looking through the scope, as it came up to him.

The cross hairs rose slightly above his back and as I slowly lowered them, just past his back line, I pulled the trigger. He kicked and flopped for about 5 seconds, but never got up. The Barnes 168gr TTSX did it's job well.

Had my eye not perfectly aligned with the scope, I might never have got the cross hairs on him before he bolted. He was drawing his feet under him, as I pulled the trigger. I am a believer of instant, or as near as possible, eye alignment. Less stress, less stretch, less chance for error.

handirifle
03-18-2016, 12:46 AM
OK got the first one on. Here's some pics, hope they are helpful.

First is the 30-06 with the pad I put on a few years ago.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/cheek%20rest_zpsndhq2roa.jpg

Next here is the material I bought next to it.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/check%20rest%20material_zpsfmdzwcpm.jpg

Here is the template I made to cut them out with. I used the '06 one to make it from.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/cheek%20rest%20template_zpsjzyfilyp.jpg

Here it is cut out and taped on the rifle for a test fit. I had to make a slight adjustment, in having a bit more roll over the top.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/cheek%20rest%20test%20fit_zpsva2jlipk.jpg

Lastly, here is the glue up. I put it back in the safe. I used 3M spray on adhesive, and that is the only unknown. I am hoping it will cure overnight and hold solid. On the original, I remember the factory adhesive did peel up once and I sprayed some on it and taped it down (thus the stripes on it) and it has held for 3 years now.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/cheek%20rest%20glue%20up_zpsichsllzv.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, I can peel the tape off. Oh I about forgot. The first time I did this I just taped right on it, but this time I placed a strip of tape against the piece that wrapped around the pad and stock, in other words, sticky side to sticky side, so my glue-up tape does NOT stick to the foam, just the stock.

Hopefully it doesn't pull the paint off my stock. :cool:

Robinhood
03-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks for posting your project Handi. At the shot show my first time several years back and I saw the pistols of some of the top shooters in the world. All I can say is form followed function. what works is what works.

Strutnut
03-18-2016, 10:14 AM
I just got one from Triads Tactical that I really love. It can easily be taken off and put on another rifle if needed. I bought extra height wedges but didnt need them.

Kingair001
03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
I bought one from Voodoo Tactical.
But with the HS stock on my Savage the front strap is too short and the whole thing moves
Luckily it was only 15 bucks . . .

handirifle
03-18-2016, 11:28 PM
It turns out one 6x6 square is more than enough for a complete cheek rest. That's $1.49 per. It would have cost me $32 for 2, 1/4" ones. I took the tape off tonight and so far all is holding. I put it back and will check in a week or so, and make sure it's staying on. I will post a finished shot then too. Looks better with the tape off :p

Kingair001
03-18-2016, 11:55 PM
It turns out one 6x6 square is more than enough for a complete cheek rest. That's $1.49 per. It would have cost me $32 for 2, 1/4" ones. I took the tape off tonight and so far all is holding. I put it back and will check in a week or so, and make sure it's staying on. I will post a finished shot then too. Looks better with the tape off :p
I am all ears . . . or better eyes 😉

handirifle
03-19-2016, 11:58 PM
Yea sadly, it will be a week. Am in Las Vegas till Friday.

GaCop
03-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Yea sadly, it will be a week. Am in Las Vegas till Friday. Well, I can think of a lot worse places to be!

Kingair001
03-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Well, I can think of a lot worse places to be!
That right . . . . 😁

bearcatrp
03-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. Will work good under my triad.