PDA

View Full Version : IS This Doable? Safe? Check My Thinking Please...

Silvercrow1
03-16-2016, 09:40 AM
My trusty .223 110 is in the shop getting a going over. It doesn't really need it but I'm not happy unless I'm messing with something that doesn't need messing with...

So I'm getting re-acquainted with my .308 Win. Hog Hunter. I'm basically only reloading one bullet for it right now, 155 Gn. Hornady AMax, using Varget powder.

I have 11 pounds of Varget; 3 pounds in one lot number, 4 pounds in another lot number and 4 pounds of differing lot numbers from themselves / others. Those 4 pounds I picked up during 2014 from 2 different gunshops at different times when I could.

I got to talking with a buddy thats even newer to reloading than I am. The question: Would there be anything wrong with mixing the four pounds of varying lot numbers together, mixing them carefully and well? My thinking is that when breaking into that 4 pound mix I could do one (or 2, depending on brass type, bullet type etc.) load developments, rather than have to do four separate developments; one for each "odd" pound opened.

My concern is the variance between lot numbers as to burn rate, etc.

Anyway- this seems to make sense to me, but, I may just be missing something. :confused: Please let me know what you think...and as always thanks so much!

Brian

Iowa Fox
03-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Its an interesting question but Its something I wouldn't do. About 30 years ago I got tired of the 1 pound load development and started buying 8 pounders. I'm sure glad I did because powder was cheap and they carried me thru the dry spells when powder disappeared. Now the 8's are about 160 to 180 bucks each. Years ago my B-I- L bought a new 1 pound container of the same powder he always used. I told him he had to start load development all over, he thought I didn't know what I was talking about. First shot locked his bolt so tight he had to beat it open with a 2x4. Another option for you would be to find a couple 8s from the same box and lot # and sell your 1 pounders. Powder supplies seem to have come back somewhat, now is the time to build inventory as it will go dry again.

Hotolds442
03-16-2016, 12:46 PM
To maintain round to round consistency I would not mix them together.
Since you have 6 different lots, load up one round from each lot and run each over a chronograph. Then load up 6 more and shoot a 6 shot group. You may be worrying about nothing.....

schnyd112
03-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Varget is one powder that I constantly had to change my charges to stay on a node. I used it for my swift and could not keep consistent velocities pound to pound. I did not have to change much, .3gr or less, but after 4 lbs I moved back to 4064 and had much more consistent results. The advice given above is sound, rather than starting from square one each time, check them all against eachother now. At least then you have an idea of where you will be when one runs out.

upSLIDEdown
03-16-2016, 09:25 PM
I've seen this discussion elsewhere, and there were quite a few people that have done this with no adverse effects. As long as it's mixed well, it's essentially giving you one big new lot. I've personally never done it, but do remember seeing a thread about it. I feel like it may have been on the Hide, but I'm not positive.

DanSavage
03-16-2016, 09:53 PM
There is a discussion on accurate shooters about this,, I won't recommend it but I mix different lots of the same powder myself and haven't had any issues,, using Varget exclusively. I do mix it real good though.

darkker
03-16-2016, 09:53 PM
A potential problem with mixing, is how different they are to begin with. Remember that extruded powder want built to be loaded by weight, they have a burning rate controlled by geometry. Since Hodgdon will only say that you should "drop 10% when switching lots". That is because "The" powder you think you are buying may not be exactly the Dane, they may have had to already blend a few lots, to get back to the range they want.

We have Pressure Traced some powders they sell, and the results held relatively close to expected. On the flip side, I've Pressure Traced powder that was "off" by more than 10%.

So, will it cause the decline of Western civilization? Of course not. But very closely watch velocities, and expect it to be "different" from expected.

geargrinder
03-16-2016, 10:05 PM
I vote- go for it. Mix it well, several times.

Then drop your loads and work your way back up.

Silvercrow1
03-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Thank you all- info for me to chew on.

Hey Hotholds- how are you, BTW? I don't want to mix them all together; just the four individual "orphan" pounds.

Darkker- I remember you saying about how powder can change just gathering moisture, etc? Well the pound I had opened last year is one I loaded 18 rounds of my best mix in 2014; 44.0 Gn. Varget behind Hornady 155 Gn. AMax. I don't know what happened, but that load ain't holding the way it did 14 or so months ago! I know it's not me. I dropped down to 43.7 Gn. and my groups came back. WEIRD! Same opened 1 pound bottle- just 14 months older...

Oh well- I guess I'll be spending a lot of time re-developing...

SCHNYD112- I agree. I've not been at this enough to know about the 4064...Varget was harder to get than skeeter dandruff just a ouple of years ago- I had good results and strted searching and buying...LOL!

DanSavage
03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Sorry it is Benchrest Central having this dicussion under the centerfire section. I've shot a few bebchrst match's lately with my Savage .223 and 6br,, didn't come in last either lol, not bad for going up against all ppc's and custom actions and rest's. I agg'd in the .4's at 200 yards with the 6br.

yobuck
03-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Sorry it is Benchrest Central having this dicussion under the centerfire section. I've shot a few bebchrst match's lately with my Savage .223 and 6br,, didn't come in last either lol, not bad for going up against all ppc's and custom actions and rest's. I agg'd in the .4's at 200 yards with the 6br.

Which just proves that money alone cant buy success and happiness.
But it might help with making the misery of knowing that more bearable.
Some of us seek out those who catch fish for advise.
Some of us seek out those with the nicest boats. lol