PDA

View Full Version : Model 112 (Pre-accutrigger)

surfclod
03-16-2016, 01:36 AM
Wondering if I could learn a bit more about a recent purchase.

Its a Model 112 in 223 Rem, Serial number "F2887XX"

Pre-accutrigger, flat back model.

Question number 1......

Currently is in a plastic stock. But did not these models come from factory in a wood stock??

Anyways thats just a question to satisfy my curiosity, its neither here nor there. Its been bedded (not pretty but an acceptable job) and I added a kydex cheek riser and stiffened the forend. Future plans include a new custom built stock but this one should be fine until then.

Question number 2........the real question.

How much of a benefit in accuracy is there to be gained in a 112 action vs other Savage actions with the magazine cutout?

I was very happy with my previous project (Model 12 VLP in 204 Ruger). It ended up being used in a shingle shot configuration with a single shot follower plate installed and my ammo loaded "long". I am wondering if this action, theoretically being "stiffer", will give a slight advantage over other repeater actions? Or would I need to go to a Model 12 target action (Right bolt, left port) to reach the apex of accuracy? I realize that a good barrel is more important, (and that is certainly in the future plans).

Question number 3.......bedding

I have had good results with bedding rifles (not just Savage) by extending it to support the first inch or two of the barrel (beyond the recoil lug). With this project I am hoping to make it a versatile "switch barrel rig" and to facilitate this I need to have it free of any contact past the recoil lug. Will my accuracy suffer without this support???

Question number 4.......Cartridge options for Model 112 action

Currently it has the factory barrel in (223 Rem), this will do for this summer of varminting but I do plan to install a Shilen prefit next winter (in 223 or 223 AI or maybe 204 Ruger)
Have a factory take off in 308 Win coming soon in the mail, this will be fine for deer and black bear this fall. So I plan to order a corresponding bolt face soon.

If I want to get into some long range shooting would the 112 action be capable of 338 Lapua or does that chambering need a large shank action???? Is my model 112 limited to the 300 Win Mag family of cartridges?? I ask this because I might order a "magnum" bolt face at the same time as my 308 Win family so I have it on hand. The 338 Lapua would be my first choice as it is a "standard" in long range shooting but if not, then a 300 Win Mag would be fine as well. Once I have the 308 Win (.4728" bolt face) then I am able to access a large family of long range rounds like the 6.5-284, 6.5 Creedmore and such, but for the cost of another bolt face I do like the option of heavier chambering.

I look forward to any and all advice

Hotolds442
03-16-2016, 02:53 AM
1) There were several variations of the 112, some featured wood, others featured synthetic. Stainless barrels on blued receivers, blued barrels on blued receivers, you name it.
2) With a quality barrel, the average shooter will not see a difference between a solid bottom action and one that's cut out for magazine feeding. Go to a local Benchrest shoot and see what shoots the best on that particular day. Phenomenal shooters can get it done either way.
3)Your accuracy probably won't suffer if you do or don't bed a small portion of the barrel. I like to leave mine free floating, others don't. Your mileage may vary.
4) Nobody here will recommend that you try to build a Lapua rifle on an action that wasn't built for the Lapua chambering. The Lapua action has been specially prepared for that chambering at the factory. If you really need a long range .338 and don't wanna spring for the Lapua, build a 338 Edge on your action, providing it doesn't have the factory shelf built into it for the short action chamberings, which it appears it does not. Some actions may be restricted to short action chamberings, or long action chamberings single fed, or single shot from the factory. It all depends on what you have to start with.

surfclod
03-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info.

Something in the 308 bolt face family will likely be fine for the foreseeable future.