PDA

View Full Version : SAUM/WSM conversion not ejecting.

lrshooting
03-14-2016, 06:24 PM
I converted a short action savage center/push feed into a 7mm saum from the original 308. I just got it together and it doesn't eject the brass. It will bring it out, but just drops it when the end of the neck reaches the ejection port. The extractor and ejector both seem fine. I never changed them though, so is there a different extractor for different case heads? Baffles me since the 308 ejected fine and although there is some size difference, I wouldn't think it enough to cause that much trouble.

m12lrs
03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
This was originally a .308 and you rebarreled it in 7 saum?

308 bolt dia. .470
7 saum bolt dia .540

That is from memory and I am old.

scooterf79
03-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Its a different bolt head, that has to be changed.....if that's not changed I'm wondering how you are chambering a round?
I have doubts of the headspace being set correctly. We need some more details before much can be figured out.
Scooter

lrshooting
03-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Its a different bolt head, that has to be changed.....if that's not changed I'm wondering how you are chambering a round?
I have doubts of the headspace being set correctly. We need some more details before much can be figured out.
Scooter
Yes of course. My bad. I changed out the bolt head with a PTG magnum head. I put all the stuff from the original 308 bolt head into the magnum bolt head (extractor, ejector, and springs and detent ball). I trued the action, lapped the recoil lug in as well as trueing both bolt faces and lapping those in back and forth so that both were pretty close to full contact. Barrel is installed more on the side of a tight headspace rather than loose, so a piece of tape on the rear of the go gauge stops the bolt handle dead.

Hotolds442
03-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Try swapping out the extractor ball with the updated .140" ball if you're not already using it. The magnum bolt heads use the same parts as the standard .473.
Theres also an upgraded ejector pin and spring, ordering new ones from Savage will get the upgraded parts even if you use the old part numbers. Yours may already have the upgrade, depending on date of manufacture.

m12lrs
03-15-2016, 06:13 AM
actually sounds like an ejector problem. It extracts the case and then drops it in the action. Fact is that is exactly how I like my range guns. I had much rather pick the brass out of the action then hunt for it after ejection. I remove my ejectors.

lrshooting
03-15-2016, 12:54 PM
actually sounds like an ejector problem. It extracts the case and then drops it in the action. Fact is that is exactly how I like my range guns. I had much rather pick the brass out of the action then hunt for it after ejection. I remove my ejectors.
I cant have that at all with the way i hunt though. I run and gun. Im in Missouri where I can shoot 8 deer with a gun and unlimited with a bow with a max limit of 2 bucks with a bow and 1 buck with a gun. Way to many deer here and if I see a herd, they are all probably gonna be in the freezer. I dont have time to pull out spent cases especially with cold hands. :)

Im thinking about going to ACE hardware and getting a piece of brass tubing that will fit close inside the ejector hole so that it will hold the spring out a little and I can get a little more pressure just to test that out. If it fixes it, i need a upgrade kit most likely. Im half tempted to make my own extractor and harden it just for fun, but its much cheaper time wise to buy one.

drybean
03-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Install a .140 extractor detent ball

geargrinder
03-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Install a .140 extractor detent ball

This.

I know it is counterintuitive. Many times poor ejection is caused by poor extraction. The extractor needs a good grip on the rim and it also needs to hold the case head firmly against the bolt face. If both of those things aren't happening, you get poor ejection symptoms.

Swapping the extractor detent ball is a good easy first thing to try.

LongRange
03-15-2016, 08:21 PM
The .140 ball will work but do yourself a favor and buy an extractor/ejector up grade kit from Dennis at my accurate barrel if he don't have them brownels probable does...worth EVERY penny of $30 bucks.

lrshooting
03-15-2016, 11:42 PM
The .140 ball will work but do yourself a favor and buy an extractor/ejector up grade kit from Dennis at my accurate barrel if he don't have them brownels probable does...worth EVERY penny of $30 bucks.
Looks like ill be doing just that then