PDA

View Full Version : No more Manners Stocks for Long Action Savage

Sponxx
03-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I found out through a friend that Manners won't be offering stocks for long actions anymore. I have always lusted for a Manners EH$ or MCS-T. My "problem" is that both my guns are long action, one a 7mmRM and another and old long action .243... Both still have the original stocks, walnut on the 7mag and tupper on the .243WIN.
Any suggestions on what decent stock to use for a "build" when the time comes to rebarrel the guns? Both are blind magazine stagger feed, and it is nice to have them be the same for ease of transition from range to field.
For the 243 I'm thinking about ApacheGunworks, Shilen or Criterion barrel, 1:8 and 22"... Heavy sporter profile. Does this make sense for a 243 that will see more range than field use? It may be carried, but short distances and potentially a blind for deer. My 7RM is still the go-to gun for hunting.
Thanks

Txhillbilly
03-14-2016, 11:30 AM
You might want to contact Manners on that issue. I don't see them dropping a long action stock from their lineup. Too many people shoot long action calibers in long range shooting.

I just looked on their site,on the stock builder site the savage long action isn't listed,but they still offer every other brand in long action. I bet if you call them,they will still make one.

bam_bam
03-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Matter of fact I called them in early February and the fellow I talked with said they don't make them right now but will start production on LA Savage stocks in April there just waiting on materials to get in. I went with a new model McMillan just came out with called the game hunter just becaus I didn't want to wait until April plus whatever the lead time would be to get a stock made from manners.

Sponxx
03-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Whew!
That's a reflief, I hadn't had the chance to call them, but was hoping to be able to use one... Maybe I prefer to be the one that uses Manners vs McMillan's... Just like I prefer Adidas over Reebok or Nike, or Coca-Cola over Pepsi :)
No rush to get one, so April sounds just fine.

LoneWolf
03-17-2016, 05:31 PM
I just got a McMillan A5. I had a Manners T2A that cracked at the front Pillar. The McMillan feels like it can take more abuse to me.

Sponxx
03-22-2016, 01:43 PM
LoneWolf, do you think it was from inadequate milling/inletting?
Had always heard wonders about the Manners Stocks and this is a surprise, did they respond to it?
What makes the McMillan feel sturdier? Never really handled them side to side.
BTW, I did get in touch with Tom Manners who said they will continue production of stocks for the LA Savages

LoneWolf
03-22-2016, 01:47 PM
This is a pretty good indication of McMillan's durability!

https://youtu.be/5TkdFpyulJk

TonyBen
04-12-2016, 10:41 PM
I talked to Manner's yesterday and they said they are no longer offering stocks in Savage long action. I ended up ordering a McMillan HTG stock.

Tony.