PDA

View Full Version : What kind of life do you guys see out of factory sporter barrels?

tufrthnails
03-13-2016, 11:33 AM
I know a bunch of you guys shoot aftermarket barrels, of you guys that shoot your sporter barrels a lot how many rounds do you get before your barrel just won't shoot. I was adding up my rounds down my 111 .270win in my data book and I am at 671 in the book. how many more rounds would you expect out of it before it starts losing accuracy and how bad have you seen it get. right now it's consistently shooting between .400 and .750" @ 100yards.

adammiddagh
03-13-2016, 11:50 AM
The simplest theory I have read on barrel life (throat life) is approximately 17lb of powder(119000gr). Contour should be of little consequence. Little things like case shoulder angle and pressure level also play into barrel life. My thinking is that the chambering/caliber affects barrel life way more than contour.

earl39
03-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Tuf i guess it depends on what you call barrel life. Sub MOA or minute of "______" can be two different things.

FW Conch
03-13-2016, 01:23 PM
JMHO...I predict that if you don't shoot that 270 so fast that the barrel gets so hot that you can't hold it in your hand, your heirs will be shooting sub MOA groups with that rifle! Just me-Just sayin :-).

The guys that shoot out barrels are shooting smaller bores, shooting them fast, shooting hot loads, and shooting thousands of rounds per year. You could do that with your 270, but I don't suspect that you will?

tufrthnails
03-13-2016, 02:48 PM
JMHO...I predict that if you don't shoot that 270 so fast that the barrel gets so hot that you can't hold it in your hand, your heirs will be shooting sub MOA groups with that rifle! Just me-Just sayin :-).

The guys that shoot out barrels are shooting smaller bores, shooting them fast, shooting hot loads, and shooting thousands of rounds per year. You could do that with your 270, but I don't suspect that you will?

No Conch I've only warmed it up real good once shooting 20 rounds in about 7-8 mins just to see what the group would look like. It got fairly warm but i could still hold the barrel. Now my AR that is a whole different ballgame!

Earl yeah I would consider shooting above MOA to be a good point at which I would be considering another barrel. It's a hunting rifle that I like shooting smallish groups with from time to time just to keep my confidence up when the 300+ yard shot makes itself available.

Quick edit: I didn't necessarily shoot 1000 rounds in a sitting out my AR alone. I usually had 5 or 6, but at least 3 to shoot.

Side note I managed to shoot the barrels out of 2 AR's while in Afghanistan. They were both used prior to me getting them, but I was the armorer then supply sergeant while in county so any weapon I worked on I have to shoot and any time my company needed range time I had to go as well so I would bring a 1000 rounds or so and run them through my AR if I had nothing else to do. Man sure wish I had the budget to get that many trigger pulls in a week in again. That alone did wonders for my shooting. (FYI Extra duty guys hate loading mags for me!)

FW Conch
03-14-2016, 12:42 PM
"tuf", I will never be able to Thank You Enough for all that trigger time! Well done! ;-))

scooterf79
03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
"tuf", I will never be able to Thank You Enough for all that trigger time! Well done! ;-))
I wholeheartedly agree! Thank you for your service!

Your barrel will probably outlast you and your children in that rifle. I dont shoot as much as I would like to but barrel life isnt even a consideration for me in my hunting rifles (bigger game rifles that is). I shoot them but not enough to worry about that in my opinion. I put way more rounds down my smaller calibers.
Scooter

tufrthnails
03-15-2016, 06:16 AM
thanks for all comments guys the point wasn't my time in the service just the fact that I managed to put enough round through them to severely degrade accuracy, but your and everyone else's thanks for all the vets that frequent this board is always greatly appreciated. I see it a lot in real life (this is internet life) and wholeheartedly appreciate it I am sure a few of you can remember some previous war that the nation didn't stand behind our vets. In my opinion those vets are the true heroes and the ones I look up to with never ending gratitude.

m12lrs
03-15-2016, 06:20 AM
overbore is an indicator of barrel life. Read the link and begin your education.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/overbore-cartridges-defined-by-formula/

Hotolds442
03-16-2016, 12:24 PM
I know a bunch of you guys shoot aftermarket barrels, of you guys that shoot your sporter barrels a lot how many rounds do you get before your barrel just won't shoot. I was adding up my rounds down my 111 .270win in my data book and I am at 671 in the book. how many more rounds would you expect out of it before it starts losing accuracy and how bad have you seen it get. right now it's consistently shooting between .400 and .750" @ 100yards.
I'd think that with proper care and feeding, you've got another 1000-1500 rounds left in that barrel, maybe more. Although heavier from the factory than a sporter, my 10Predator in 243AI is at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 rounds and still is the most accurate rifle in the safe at 1/4moa.

cowboybart
03-18-2016, 12:24 AM
I was adding up my rounds down my 111 .270win in my data book and I am at 671 in the book. how many more rounds would you expect out of it before it starts losing accuracy.

You have 1781 shots left before accuracy fails. ( + or - 532). ;-)

tufrthnails
03-18-2016, 08:18 AM
You have 1781 shots left before accuracy fails. ( + or - 532). ;-)
:rockon: Good to know I can narrow it down!!