PDA

View Full Version : 10FCP-SR or 10FCP-HS

benellibill
03-12-2016, 01:12 PM
OMG, this forum section was tailor-made for me, decisionally impaired, yes, I am. I wanted to buy a gun to use at the range where I shoot mainly prone but at times from the bench. Paper punching, targets and that's about it. So here is the story. Im a long time AR/semi-auto guy who has decided to switch it up and try a bolt gun, something completely new to me. I have 2 Mauser bolt guns that belonged to my father that will never be fired again except n a total emergency but other than that, no bolt guns. After making the decision, I decided on a Savage, then the 10 series,.308 cal with a 24" tube. Now which one? Loved the FCP, compared to the others (in my price range) and thought I had found a winner. Did the normal internet "research" and everything seemed a go. How did I find a winner so easily? Could it really be this easy? NO, it wasn't. I then found the big, long, 25 page BEWARE thread about the new and unimproved 10FCP-SR thread here on SS. CRAP, I knew it, it wasn't so easy to find my new gun so easily. In the mean time, I had already ordered my new 10SR and it was on the way and now, I have taken possession of sad rifle. What to do? I went browsing the 2, very small, local gunstores and what do I find? A new/used 10FCP-HS in .308 with a 24" non-fluted tube, accutriger. I mean this thing is pristine, and I love the price. The guy had a price of $750. Once I showed a little interest (I was doing my best to hide my excitement), he came over and began talking with me about it and finally told me if I really wanted it he would let me have it for $650. Well, to my mind, that's a good deal. I live in a small town on Marylands eastern shore, very small and everyone knows everyone so he knows the owner and the history of the gun and he said that though technically it IS a used gun, its really a new gun. The condition definitely reflects very little to no usage and great care.
So, having received the FCP-SR, which seems to function fine, mag is tight, takes all 10 rounds, reliable(so far) cycling and it ejects and installs great, do I keep it? Of course I cant shoot the rifle if Im going to send it back and get the HS and how it shoots is most important of course. OR, do I return it and buy the HS, or, option number 3, keep the SR AND the HS too? Buying both will cut into my customizing a single rifle but the HS is such a good del its sort of hard to pass up. I could buy it and attempt to resale it. Can I use 2 .308 cal rifles? Maybe. Im not sure if my daughter would be comfortable shooting one. She is 20 so shes not a small child. I think she could handle it. I could build it, sell it and fund another build. Maybe I would like the HS better and sell the SR. Maybe the SR will be one of those lemons with endless issues and I will sell it. Maybe the SR, maybe the HS.........
So, as you see, I am decisionally impaired (or paralyzed) and need your help.

dawg4life
05-10-2016, 06:53 PM
I have both. 3 actually. FCP-SR 308, FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor, FCP-HS 338 LAPUA. Of the 3 I have the HS is definitely my favorite. Overall fit and finish looks and feels much better. The HS stock feels much better mostly because of the higher cheek piece. The accustock on the FCP-SR although a good stock looks and feels cheap. I really love all 3 and they all shoot good. If you want a good stock that looks just as good good with the HS. On the other hand both my SR's have been trouble free and drive tacks.

LongRange
05-11-2016, 02:59 PM
why a 308?

yobuck
05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
why a 308?

Why not a 308 lol.

LongRange
05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Why not a 308 lol.

other than barral life i dont know why you would choose a ballistically challenged caliber LOL.

jim_k
05-18-2016, 12:24 PM
delete; old thread