PDA

View Full Version : zeroing ???s

pudge
07-07-2010, 03:05 AM
i got to the range and my precision 10 .308 was getting quarter sized groups at 50 yards and dead on. i then adjusted to 1'' high at 50 yards and shot another mag load at 100 yards and it was 1'' high and to the left 2''. we had about a 7mph wind going right to left , would that have caused it to drift over that far?
overall very happy with the weapon, i was following the guidelines for barrel break-in , should i get better groups after break-in? most of my hunting is within 150 yards, what would be a good guide-line for zeroing at that range?

rjtfroggy
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes the wind would move it that far.
Yes it gets better and the more you shoot the better you get.Just don't clean it so much,wait until it gets erratic then clean.
As for sight in about 3/4" high @100 will give you a dead on POA.

Hammer
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Wind might move it that much.

But scope parallax could too.

bodywerks
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep. makes sure parallax is adjusted properly and establish consistent cheek weld.

Hammer
07-26-2010, 03:46 AM

Know folks who skip sighting-in altogether.

Consider it a waste of money and time.

If they shoot a game animal while hunting they have to do something with the carcass and have to carry something back to camp.

If they shoot targets with friends, they would have one less excuse about all the shots not being in the X-ring.

Maybe it's best to not know where the bullets are going other than downrange.

shovelheadave
07-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Hammer has a very good point - parallax adjustment

A quick calculation of some generic .308 info on a 10 mph right to left wind, would move your impact area .5" from POA at 100 yards. Could be + or - depending on what you're actually shooting though.

You might find this helpful for figuring some of your balistic data.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Hammer
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Parallax adjustment scales on even expensive scopes may be off.