PDA

View Full Version : YHM Phantom- .338 Lapua

hafejd30
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Hope this is posted in the correct thread.

Today I had brought my .338 lapua back to my smith. He bore scoped it to confirm my barrel break in was complete. The barrel was cleaned after break in. He scoped it, we fired 3 rounds, cleaned the powder out careful to use nothing that would remove copper. Then rescoped the bore again, not a hint of copper in this Shilen select match barrel.

My smith is also a class 3 dealer and had a YHM phantom he's been wanting to try for a while. So we figured this was a good time to see what it sounded like. I've read other posts online about people using suppressors on a lapua and the rifle sounded similar to a 308. So I put my money on this setup being "not hearing safe"

Boy was I wrong. Not only did it tame the recoil very similar to the brake but it sounded like a flippin .22 going off. We fired a suppressed AR before that and this .338 put that to shame. This was RE 33 pushing a 300 smk at 2675. Not a screaming load but certainly nothing close to subsonic.

Just thought I'd share as I was kind of blown away by what that can could do.

No comment on accuracy as this was only 100 yards with some rounds I threw together for this break in test only

gbflyer
03-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Yup. It's a shame it's such a wait to get one.

geargrinder
03-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Yup. It's a shame it's such a wait to get one.

Currently, it's only running about 4 months for Form 4's.

YHM makes a good can. Well built, cheaply priced, and decent sound reduction.

I love my 30 cal YHM.

I love my homebuilt Form 1's even better. They are only running 3 months and trending quicker.

hafejd30
03-12-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm waiting on a TBAC Ultra 9 30 cal at the moment. Got to hold it lol my tax stamp should be approved within the month. I'd love one for my lapua but that's a future upgrade for that rifle once it proves it can shoot

geargrinder
03-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I've got two Form 1's in the que right now that should hit in about a month.

Another homebrew can and a SBR.