PDA

View Full Version : Neck Turning best deal?

jdw91
07-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm gonna need to start turning my 6BR lapua cases and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, reliable, consistent, but inexpensive turner? Is this possible?

Does 6BR Lapua brass have relatively consistent neck wall thickness out of the bag or is it more a matter of fitting the chamber for most people?

Thanks for the help,

Jake

xr650rRider
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I just finished researching and purchasing one for 30BR made from 6BR cases. I bought the K&N setup from Bruno's with carbide mandrel for cutting doughnut on inside of case. Works well. Make sure you get the expander mandrel and expander mandrel body for your cases as well. This will size the neck so that it fits the turning mandrel perfectly. I turned the cases with a Milwaukee 18 volt drill and would not like to think about having to turn them by hand. The K&N tool with the handle for the shellholder doubles as a power adaptor you can put in a drill. Just use slow speed on drill or use power screwdriver. I found it easier to put case directly in drill chuck and didn't use the holder at all. I borrowed a buddy's Forster tool and bought the mandrels for 6mm and 30 cal but this tool does not remove the doughnut and the case holder in that setup is kind of cheesy. I own a RCBS trim pro and was going to get their neck turning add-on but read in several places it wasn't horrible.