PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 12FV in .308 and an Axis HB in.243 and don't know what to do...

alltherage
03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
tough problem to have right...

Anyway, I have 2 other .308's that I hunt with....a cheapie mossberg ATR that I bedded and handload with 125 nosler BT (5/8" at 100 if you believe it) for coyotes, and a rem 7600 for deer. I have the woodchucks covered with a model 12 varminter low profile in .204.

I've never built a rifle and I recently got into handloading, but only .308 up to this point.

I want to start shooting long range, so I bought the 12FV as a 40th birthday present to me so I could build a 600-1000 yard 6.5x55(single shot obviously) The only reason is because I have mausers and always wanted a sporterized something in that cartridge. I also have a couple hundred factory rounds, and just love the round i guess. But now I'm having second thoughts and think the .308 would be fine and i'm already handloading for that cartridge. Then I got thinking 6.5 creed, 6.5x47, etc. I have hundreds of .25-06 cases (from dad's rifle which he currently has) so i even thought 6.5-06. I haven't shot this rifle at all yet because i'm in limbo.

Then found a deal on the axis hb and bought myself a post-birthday present. I went with .243 because my father in law has one and he said we could handload. I'm not a big fan of .243 only because i'm a .25-06 fanboy. But, admittedly, I've been reading up on the .243 and the idea of 55 grain loads over 4000 is exciting. Plus, I've been watching 1000 yard coyote shots with them out west, so, ya know. Then I started thinking I could build my 6.5x55 repeater off the axis long action and save the 12FV for a short action 6.5 or something else or keep it .308 and have 2 long range rifles in the end.

I'm currently thinking of getting another 12FV or Axis HB as a mid-life crisis present and to help make decisions. Perhaps I should leave everything as is and invest in stocks, bipods, and triggers. I have thought about turning that .243 into a bonafide coyote gun with snow camo stock/boyds pepper laminate and bipod etc. Right now, the mossberg has the basic walnut stock and nothing else but it works I guess.

I will say I've always wanted a good .25-06 of my own and I have the dies already. Had one but sold it because it wouldn't shoot. My dad's is ridiculously accurate and I shoot it/hunt with it from time to time, so i haven't gotten another.

One thing I'm set on is that I won't take apart the .204!!...or should I??

lots of info i realize, but any ideas?
Thanks

swamphonkey
03-12-2016, 02:49 PM
The 25/06 is fine and dandy sweet as cotton candy. But I think once you start shooting that 243 you will fall in love. I have a 6 mm rem. And a couple 243s I dont have a 25/06 any more I use too own one and liked it. But some one else liked it more I had to let it go money talks. But honestly now that I found the mono bullets for it I really never hunt with anything else. With those rounds I feel like anything in the area I hunt is in trouble. I use to not trust the 6mm or 243 for anything bigger than coyote or small deer but everything has changed. Give it a try I think you might be happy with it . Its a laser beam with the light coyote bullets and strikes them down. And with the mono bullets there is not a deer that walks that it will not take. This year I shot a 202 pound buck slight angle straight on at 178 paces and the bullet was under the hide on the off side back ham it went the whole length of a mature Rutting buck. Im sold on the "too small for deer" 243.

alltherage
03-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Great feedback. Thanks! I have been reading alot about it and am coming around...so much so that i bought another axis heavy barrel in 243! My plan now is to keep one with the stock barrel, use the other to build the 6.5 swede, and shoot the 12fv in 308 for avwhile and then go to something else, most likely 6.5creed or x47. Sold on the 243 for now, especially after seeing accuracy photos on this site as well as videos on you tube. Check out the build done by "the hide"

swamphonkey
03-18-2016, 01:20 PM
I have a custom built m98 Karl Gustoff 6.5x55 that has been in my family a long time has a bell and Carson stock a Pentax light seeker and a fancy camouflaged paint job. That rifle has taken more first deer for people than any rifle I've had. Its old as dirt still shoots great and function perfect. The 6.5sweed is a great little round also. I need to shoot mine I haven't taken it out in a few years. I've been just hunting with my 243 or 7mm08 the last few years and honestly think they are all about the same as far a deer and hogs. You can't go wrong with any of them for regular hunting. The 708 and 6.5 sweed both kick about the same and shoot about the same I'm sure someone will pull out a chart and get all tecky but in real world hunting anything in North America except big bear you can take with the old 6.5 sweed and watch the impact threw the scope. That's a great round.

alltherage
03-18-2016, 07:35 PM
I have a model 98 too. Also the 96 and 94 carbine. LOVE the swede but have always wanted a mosern rifle in that caliber

swamphonkey
03-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Do you reload? I never reloaded for mine I still have a few box's of light mag 129 gr Hornadys that shoot really well. But I've seen a lot of new Ammo for it lately. My hunting buddy has a kimber in 6.5 sweed its a fine little rifle. But I think your doing it right building your own.

alltherage
03-18-2016, 10:09 PM
oops I meant model 38, not 98. yes i reload

m12lrs
03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
tough problem to have right...

Anyway, I have 2 other .308's that I hunt with....a cheapie mossberg ATR that I bedded and handload with 125 nosler BT (5/8" at 100 if you believe it) for coyotes, and a rem 7600 for deer. I have the woodchucks covered with a model 12 varminter low profile in .204.

I've never built a rifle and I recently got into handloading, but only .308 up to this point.

I want to start shooting long range, so I bought the 12FV as a 40th birthday present to me so I could build a 600-1000 yard 6.5x55(single shot obviously) The only reason is because I have mausers and always wanted a sporterized something in that cartridge. I also have a couple hundred factory rounds, and just love the round i guess. But now I'm having second thoughts and think the .308 would be fine and i'm already handloading for that cartridge. Then I got thinking 6.5 creed, 6.5x47, etc. I have hundreds of .25-06 cases (from dad's rifle which he currently has) so i even thought 6.5-06. I haven't shot this rifle at all yet because i'm in limbo.

Then found a deal on the axis hb and bought myself a post-birthday present. I went with .243 because my father in law has one and he said we could handload. I'm not a big fan of .243 only because i'm a .25-06 fanboy. But, admittedly, I've been reading up on the .243 and the idea of 55 grain loads over 4000 is exciting. Plus, I've been watching 1000 yard coyote shots with them out west, so, ya know. Then I started thinking I could build my 6.5x55 repeater off the axis long action and save the 12FV for a short action 6.5 or something else or keep it .308 and have 2 long range rifles in the end.

I'm currently thinking of getting another 12FV or Axis HB as a mid-life crisis present and to help make decisions. Perhaps I should leave everything as is and invest in stocks, bipods, and triggers. I have thought about turning that .243 into a bonafide coyote gun with snow camo stock/boyds pepper laminate and bipod etc. Right now, the mossberg has the basic walnut stock and nothing else but it works I guess.

I will say I've always wanted a good .25-06 of my own and I have the dies already. Had one but sold it because it wouldn't shoot. My dad's is ridiculously accurate and I shoot it/hunt with it from time to time, so i haven't gotten another.

One thing I'm set on is that I won't take apart the .204!!...or should I??

lots of info i realize, but any ideas?
Thanks

no more actions needed. Turn the ones you have into switchbarrels. Then all you need is a different barrel for a different caliber as long as the bolt head is compatible. You can just change the bolt or bolt head if you want to shoot .223 based cartriges or magnum rounds.

darkker
03-24-2016, 05:34 PM
I'll vote against the 243, here is why.
I've had several, still have one. All of mine have NEVER been happy, group wise, when actually pushed over 4K. I'm a lifelong 308 fan-boy, but despise the 243. The 243 has a well documented history of having random unexplained pressure excursions. So a load that you find as good, may have random things happen, or blow-apart brass.

alltherage
03-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Now that's thrilling! just kidding of course. I ended up buying another axis hb in .243. Price was really too good to pass up and I thought I would keep one as a coyote gun and snow camo it. Figured I'd keep it with stock barrel but we'll see how it shoots. I figure I will rebarrel the other to 6.5x55 or some other long action 6.5. I'm going to shoot the 12fv in .308 for a while and see what she'll do long range. I shot it for the first time last weekend and it did very well. Down the road, I will try the 6.5 cm or 6.5x47 in the 12fv. At least I have somewhat of a game plan, but if the .243 does weird stuff then another 6mm, .22, or .25-06 will be on it. I will keep my .204 VLP as is.

Do you think it's worth shooting both axis .243's to see which is more accurate, or just pick one and sell the other barrel as unfired?? (by the way, I can't believe I actually got a .243...i despise it too darkker!!

...and I ordered dies today UGH stop the madness

YDKDY
03-25-2016, 12:32 AM
You sir, are out of control. What, no 12FV in 22-250?

alltherage
03-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Should I??!! Lol