PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest cartridge a target action can take?

AbitNutz
03-09-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking about building a Savage rifle from the ground up. It'll make no economic sense but it'll be fun.

It would be interesting to make a 338 Lapua or 300 RUM using the stainless single shot target actions but even though they are large shanks, I think they would be too short to handle the cartridge.

I see that Savage makes a single shot action for the 338 Lapua but it's not stainless like the target actions. Does the single shot 338 action use the target accutrigger? or is it just the standard accutrigger? There's a big difference between the target accutriggers and the standard ones.

LoneWolf
03-09-2016, 03:10 PM
If you want to do 338 Lapua on a Savage Action, you must get a 338 Lapua Action. Standard Savage Actions aren't designed to handle those pressures. If you want to do a big single shot caliber I would look heavy at a Shilen or Stiller Action.

m12lrs
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
these guys have the 300 rum http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

but you would be better off with one of the short mags. 300 WSM, 300 saum .....

you will need a magnum bolt head to fit the cases

and then because it is a savage when you get tired of that 300 mag kicking your %^$$. For a few hundred dollars you can buy another barrel and drop down to one of the 6.5 mm's and enjoy shooting it.