PDA

View Full Version : Savage Action Straight Wall Cartridge

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sixonetonoffun
03-13-2016, 08:45 AM
BW it probably wouldn't be an issue at handgun or even 45-70 velocity. But I am closer to 458wm velocity of = weight bullets.

My Hornady basic brass runs a little soft exaggerating the stretch factor slightly. Also heavy crimping to get consistent burns and low es. All in all tons of fun.

earl39
03-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Kind of true. But to prevent the brass from stretching and grabbing the rifling on high power loads you need about .002-.003 clearance.

Which creates the potential of the firing pin pushing the cartridge forward instead of igniting the primer. With most bullets I have used being designed for 500 S&W the bullets change overall length to contact rifling significantly.

Not an issue for a true controlled feed. But push feed jammed to the rifling is the only way to guarantee a bang instead of a click.

I am going to stick to one bullet eventually for now. Until I come across the right deal on a controlled feed rum length action. Probably a Hawk bullet for the 505gibbs sized down to .501

If trimming .002-.003 caused ignition problem you have other problems that need to be solved. Most bottleneck cartridges from the factory have .002+ clearance and they headspace on the shoulder which allows the firing pin to push them forward and they seem to pop just fine. Maybe you have you pin set to short or is dragging, spring is weak, you are trimming more than you need to or there may be something else causing problems. If your brass is stretching that much you may be way over pressure which raises other safety questions when passing on the load you use. Not trying to flame just trying to explain.
The end result is still this thread is only for cartridges listed as legal to hunt in Ohio with and when you go to court with a ticket the judge will follow the law and a wildcat that is close to what the law allows is still not legal. "56 in a 55 may not get you a ticket but it is still breaking the law"

handirifle
03-14-2016, 01:37 AM
Why trim the 450 Marlin case at all????? All you need is the bolt head for ANY magnum cartridge, like the 300WM, it's the same size. He buys a barrel, and bolt head, and headspace tools, install barrel, set headspace, replace bolt head with magnum (.513 I think) and go shoot gun. Buy a box of factory ammo and see how he likes it, then reload to suit.

He can load 300gr loads to the 1800fps factory 45-70 levels and just get a nice push at the shoulder, and venison on the table. No guessing if it's approved, no feeding issues, no problem.