PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: A bit embarrased

Lorenzo
03-08-2016, 01:25 AM
Well I tried my hand at bedding my first rifle, my 93r17 TR. Did the tang area and the front of the action with JB weld. I unfortunately used some off brand shoe polish as release agent. The action is now in the stock a little bit more permanent than before :(.
I will be happy if it shoots better because really I have no need to take it out of the stock but if it shoots worse, I am going to heat it up and try again.
Anybody ever do this and have to heat up the action? Are we talking heat gun heat or torch heat?
Think I'm going to go with Hornady one shot from now on for release agent as I know lots of people have had success with that.

short round
03-08-2016, 09:01 AM
KIWI neutral for release agent, the colored ones do not work. Heat gun should work, be careful of stock. Sometimes a clothes iron set on receiver will work.

Lorenzo
03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
KIWI neutral for release agent, the colored ones do not work. Heat gun should work, be careful of stock. Sometimes a clothes iron set on receiver will work.

****, I went with black just figured guys didnt want black stuff on their gun. Should of done more research.
Ill be totally happy if it shoots better and I will just leave it. If not I read that JB needs around 600 degrees to soften so yea gonna have to heat up the reciever. Kinda worried about the laminate stock but we will see once I can get it to the range first.

Robinhood
03-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Kiwi's proposal using an iron makes the action grow causing seperation. I have seen bedding jobs with the full recoil lug bed go in the freezer overnight and then an iron or hair drier get them to come apart. Never tried it myself though.

triglet
03-10-2016, 12:56 AM
Good to know Lorenzo. I'm gonna try it eventually myself would have made the same mistake!

sharpshooter
03-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Chances are you have a mechanical lock somewhere in the bedding.

Mozella
03-10-2016, 07:12 AM
All good advice, but note that even if everything is perfect it sometimes takes a surprising force to separate the action from the stock. I assume you gave it a GOOD wack with a hard plastic mallet or length of 2x4, right? Check out some of the YouTube videos on the subject and you'll see what I mean, especially since this is your first try at bedding.

Just pulling on the action is often not enough. You need a genuine shock load. In other words, it might not be a problem at all, especially if you did everything correctly except for the color of the shoe polish.

Magnumdood
05-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Hold the rifle upside down, butt stock out in front of you, then place some towels over a sturdy chair or your bench and with one hand cupping the action, the other hand holding the barrel, rap the but stock on the padded spot you made. A couple of sharp raps should break it free unless it is glued to the stock. My gunsmith discovered a way to get glued in actions apart without milling the stock off of the action. He drops the rifle in the freezer overnight, then attaches jumper cables to the barrel and the action and when he attaches the other end to a car battery the action literally 'jumps' out of the stock.

Dennis
05-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Hold the rifle upside down, butt stock out in front of you, then place some towels over a sturdy chair or your bench and with one hand cupping the action, the other hand holding the barrel, rap the but stock on the padded spot you made. A couple of sharp raps should break it free unless it is glued to the stock. My gunsmith discovered a way to get glued in actions apart without milling the stock off of the action. He drops the rifle in the freezer overnight, then attaches jumper cables to the barrel and the action and when he attaches the other end to a car battery the action literally 'jumps' out of the stock.

I never tried the jumper cable process, but I know the freezer does work. The one that would not release, I put it in the freezer for 2 days, then lightly tap on the mounting screws, usually pops right off.

Magnumdood
05-07-2016, 11:01 PM
I think (usually when I get in trouble) it has to do with the differing expansion rates.

Robinhood
05-08-2016, 11:07 AM
My gunsmith discovered a way to get glued in actions apart without milling the stock off of the action. He drops the rifle in the freezer overnight, then attaches jumper cables to the barrel and the action and when he attaches the other end to a car battery the action literally 'jumps' out of the stock.

I would take the bolt out if I were going to try this. Wait,.?! I wouldn't try this.

langenc
05-15-2016, 07:42 PM

The jumper cable process sounds like the opposite of the 300 below freezing barrels.

Jumper cable connection sounds like a dead short.

Fotheringill
05-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Freezer first overnight. I have had the problem on one rifle myself. It may not work since you didn't use a release agent, but it is worth a shot.

Doc S
05-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Embarrassed? Hell, I wouldn't even try to take a shot at it unless I had a barrel-full of really cheap stocks laying around. You tried, learned, and know what happened. Nothing to be embarrassed about, if you ask me.

Willy
06-03-2016, 09:34 AM
This is the first time I saw Kiwi Neutral specified; maybe I missed it before. I epoxy bedded a bunch of rifle scopes and used the Kiwi "Black", but I always had to apply some force to get the scope out of the rings. I'll have to try the Neutral.

tufrthnails
06-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Brownell's Accurelease. Hit it and forget it.

Willy
06-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond (had to find my password). That's fine if you live in the US; to get that here in Canada the postage would probably cost more than the product. Would wax work as a release agent or margarine/butter/oil ?

handirifle
06-15-2016, 03:11 AM
I ALWAYS use paste wax as a release agent, even when I would epoxy recurve bow limbs together. Doesn't hurt to have a little shine on the barrel either. Just don't be stingy with it, use enough to cover everything that you want to come back out of the stock.