PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the People's Republik of Illinois

Magnumdood
03-08-2016, 01:10 AM
I've had a Savage ML II for over 5 years. I've been lurking on this sight for longer than that. My Savage ML II is a hammer out to 200 yards easily. As you may or may not know, the state of Illinois will not let us hunt big game animals with a centerfire rifle using a cartridge (primer, brass, bullet). So, we can use a shotgun with slugs, a muzzle loader and a handgun that has a cartridge that is NOT a bottle-neck cartridge, and semi-automatic handguns are prohibited. To hunt the whole season you have to be an archer. The firearms "seasons" usually entail a 3, or 4 day weekend. The seasons are distributed in a lottery fashion. I have several other rifles. I came here from Texas in 1999. In Texas deer season meant you bought your hunting license and could hunt the entire season with whatever you wished, with exception of a .22 Long Rifle.

I'm 56 and married to the same beautiful woman for 29 years. This is both of ours first marriage. We have a 27 year old son who is also married and he and his wife had our first grandbabby 3 years ago...an absolutely stunning little boy. We also have a daughter who is 21 years old and a Junior at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale (SIUC). My son earned his mechanical engineering degree from SIUC. I earned my BA and MA in Criminal Justice at SIUC. My lovely wife earned her PhD from Texas A&M University in 1999 and SIUC hired her as an assistant professor in 1999. That's why we moved her from Texas. She has since progressed through the ranks and is now a tenured full Professor and the chair of her department. My girls (wife & daughter) both love to shoot and hunt. I need that grandbabby to be a little closer to us so I can unduly influence him into loving firearms like I do.

pbmax84
03-08-2016, 04:32 AM
Welcome from the Free State Of Missouri.

drybean
03-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Welcome aboard

Magnumdood
03-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Welcome from the Free State Of Missouri.
We might get lucky and move to Missouri in the near future. Missouri State University
wants my wife as the Dean to their Ag program. She flies out there next week. They've got
a local real estate firm lining up houses for her to look at. Sounds like the job is hers if she
wants it. We need to get out of Illinois. This state has been so mismanaged for so many
years families are leaving the state to the tune of 10,000 people every year. Illinois has the
worst credit rating of all 50 states. This state is a horrible place to live.

Hotolds442
03-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Welcome!

Magnumdood
03-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Rick_W
03-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Welcome

savgebolt
03-12-2016, 07:44 PM
welcome from illinois

snowgetter1
03-12-2016, 08:38 PM
You can use a handgun in 30 Bellm. It is a 7mm benchrest necked up to 30cal and shortened to 1.4". It will send a 150gr at around 2500fps out of my 17" barreled striker. You do need a a single shot follower to make it a single shot. Very effective. I just flat out gave up on slugs.

scooterf79
03-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard!
Scooter