PDA

View Full Version : extraction problems/ fix it or sell it

rp85
07-06-2010, 07:38 PM
hello;

i’m not trying to start anything, only trying to fix a problem with a savage bolt action rifle. the rifle is a model 16flss in 308 cal. rifle started life in 243win., but changed to a 308win barrel. does not make a difference in barrels, both have extraction problems.

savage ownership back ground. had a 20ga. savage pump shotgun. plain jane type, simply worked every time trigger was pull.

owned two savage 99 lever action rifles in 308win. cal. these savage 99 lever action rifles were the most natural point rifles i ever owned. triggers were o.k., accuracy was 2-2.5in. range with hunting, reloads, ammo. both rifles had problems shooting reloads. even using rcbs small base dies, could not extract fired cases unless they were starting loads.

owned a savage model 10gl. no questions about this rifle, it was the biggest p.o.s. i ever owned. sent back to savage with five problems, come back with none of the problems fixed, but had two additional problems. rifle would not even feed ammo from the left side of the magazine! front sight was canted at 2 o'clock position, rear sight at 10 o'clock position.

savage rifle in question, is a model 16flss. rifle started out in 243win but changed the barrel to 308win. this rifle is most accurate rifle i ever owned.

the problem, @ 1/3 of the fired cases will not extract completely from the action. now on my third extractor from savage. none work. a certain web site has a savage rifle expert that sells extractors. purchased one of their extractors. sent e-mails and called to get some type of measurements for their extractor for proper fiting. never got a reply. tried to fit but no luck at making this extractor fit.

took the rifle to local gunsmith, a gunsmith with a very good reputation. right off the bat he said the extractor did not “grab” enough of the case rim, plus the inside diameter bolt head is over size. sent the rifle back to savage hoping they would resolve the extraction problem. told by the savage representative the extractor and bolt head were “within specification”.

there are too many posting on this site and others sites about extraction problems. at least two times on this web site saw posting where people had the extractor fall off their new savage rifle when taken to the range for the first time.

any other suggestions on fixing the extraction problem?

yes, this savage did not cost a bundle and is extremely accurate. but i believe savage bolt action rifles have serious design flaw with extractor design. it’s only a matter of time before savage has a class action law suit over this serious design flaw. not trying to bash savage, just want my rifle fixed.

82boy
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Common problem,
The bolt heads are too big.
If you did a search or looked in the FAQs section, you would find the answer to you question.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,23731.0.html

wbm
07-06-2010, 07:50 PM
+1. The detent ball really works. All my Savages have them.

ellobo
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
What happened? Did Savage get a deal on a batch of undersized balls?

El Lobo

82boy
07-06-2010, 09:05 PM
What happened? Did Savage get a deal on a batch of undersized balls?

El Lobo

Nope, just on oversized bolt heads.

rp85
07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
hello;

thanks for the feed back.

rifle purchased new two years ago. detent ball trick did not work.

mgs44mag
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, to save you the trouble of starting a class action law suite against Savage, I'll offer you $50 bucks since it is having extraction problems.

BillPa
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Nope, just on oversized bolt heads.

I wish that were the case. I just bushed a bolthead to .480", reduced the lead in chamfer to .0625" @ 30 degrees, installed a .140" extractor ball, lengthened the ejector travel, and guess what?

The Hindenburg revisited.

Yet, that complete bolt assembly works perfectly in another action ("B"), it boots them out, no problem using the same brass. Whats more, using the bolt from action "B" with it's oversized bolthead in action "A" the brass drops off at exactly the same point, that point being where the neck is just ready to clear the port.

So, two bolt assemblies that work in one action, but not the other. Why, I haven't determined at this point, but it certainly isn't due to a oversized bolthead or the brass. I have seen something happening at that point, but haven't dug into it to determine the reason why.

The saga continues! ;D

Bill