PDA

View Full Version : My latest from New Zealand ...

cleaky
09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
What a great country! Went to visit a mate who has wild pigs on his place. Wandered up the back of the farm, chose a likely spot, sat and waited for the pigs to arrive and after a while a big boar wandered down towards us testing the air and generally acting pretty wary. He got to a wee dip and we started to stalk towards him when a magpie flew over him squawking, he bolted about 10m so the plan changed from "stalk closer" to "bloody shoot him now before he bolts". So I did. The Budget Bangstick struck again and I had my first wild boar. Tastes good he does too.

He went 150lb. And so do I pretty much so the carry back to the wagon a mile or so away was interesting to say the least.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/cleaky/Pigs%20with%20Shanks%201/TimandAndrewspigs001640x480.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/cleaky/Pigs%20with%20Shanks%201/TimandAndrewspigs007640x480.jpg

My younger brother got one the next afternoon.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/cleaky/Pigs%20with%20Shanks%201/TimandAndrewspigs014640x480.jpg

dcloco
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Look like "Wooly Piggy"!!

Nice shooting!!!

cleaky
09-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah they're a bit hairy! The bristles aren't anything like as dense as the photos show though. They're descended from pigs that Captain Cook dropped off here on his way around the world so there's a fair bit of European boar in the mix. We just call them Captain Cookers or Razorbacks.

HRstretch
09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I am so glad we have roads (Senderos) cut all through the place I hunt pigs at. I can not imagine hauling pigs a mile through the south Texas brush. I imagine if I had to haul them like you do, most would not make it back to camp. But we shoot about 100 to 150 pigs a year, so all of our freezers and friends freezers are full.

Nice pig and beautiful country.

cleaky
09-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Ok Stretch, disclosure time, I carried it like in the pic of my brother carrying his, even I'm not stupid enough to carry it like in the staged pic of me carrying it the next day ;)

It was carried mostly on a farm track back to the wagon too. Thank God.

Fjold
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Good on ya, Cleaky! What part of New Zealand are you hunting? I have a mate there in Hamilton and have hunted ferals south of Otorohanga.

cleaky
09-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm based in Auckland but that hunt was in the Waitomo area, which if you've hunted south of Otorohanga, you'll know ;)

Are you the Fjold from AR? If you are you'll have seen Shankspony's posts ... it was on his place. I'll be back there on the 10th to see if the big boars have moved into the area yet. :)

Fjold
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm based in Auckland but that hunt was in the Waitomo area, which if you've hunted south of Otorohanga, you'll know ;)

Are you the Fjold from AR? If you are you'll have seen Shankspony's posts ... it was on his place. I'll be back there on the 10th to see if the big boars have moved into the area yet. :)

Yep, that's me. I'll have to look you and Shankspony up next time I'm down there. I was in Aukland for two weeks in January but only got some snapper fishing in during the weekend away from work.

cleaky
09-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Yep, that's me. I'll have to look you and Shankspony up next time I'm down there. I was in Aukland for two weeks in January but only got some snapper fishing in during the weekend away from work.

Definitely do that, it'd be good to meet you. Make it a decent amount of time next time and we'll get out tahr hunting too. ;)