PDA

View Full Version : Help me Identify this Savage Rifle

2ndamendment
03-06-2016, 08:22 PM
I ran across a very reasonably priced Savage rifle at a local gunshop. I believe it was a model 11. The stock was plain hardwood and the caliber was .260. Nothing fancy at all. It had a standard length barrel and the Savage logo on the bolt. I might pick this gun up if the caliber is suuitable for deer hunting. Any ideas when this was built and the accuracy potential of this very simple looking gun?

drybean
03-06-2016, 08:33 PM
accuracy should be great
run the serial # on savage parts finder it will give you the DOB

Bolthead
03-08-2016, 02:08 PM
If the serial number thing doesn't work, there are some other things to look at that will get you near the ballpark. Does it have the accutrigger? Is the rear scope mount area round or flat? What is the spacing between the front action screw and the front trigger guard (rear action) screw? The long action is right at 5", and the short action is 4 something" . Check to make sure the bolthead does NOT go into a recess in the end of the barrel, as that is an early model that doesn't lend itself well to barrel changes. As for the caliber, I am not a hunter, so I don't know if the .260 is a good deer dropper or not. I am sure somebody will chime in on that. If the caliber is a problem, a short action can be re-barreled to a .308 quite easily.

Hotolds442
03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Since the 260 was introduced by Remington in 1997, and probably didn't make it into the Savage lineup until '98 or '99, it more than likely was built after that. If it's in it's original factory configuration as a 260, it shouldn't have the recessed bolt face. The 260 is a fine flat-shooting round capable of taking any deer in North America with the right bullets and proper shot placement.

2ndamendment
03-09-2016, 08:12 PM
I did buy the rifle. A little overpriced @375$ but in really good condition. I did some research found out it was a 110 GXP with a sn# of F934XXX. Has good set of rings with it. Probably going with a vortex 4x12 and make it a prime deer hunting rifle. I suspect resale will be difficult.

Hotolds442
03-09-2016, 08:26 PM
I suspect resale will be difficult.

I don't. $325 for the action, $60 for the barrel, $50 for the hardwood stock if you part it out and sell at the going rate. You have nothing to lose.....

2ndamendment
03-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I suspect this gun will be a keeper,though. I've never owned a Savage 110 before. Owned myriads of Remmies, Winchesters, and Rugers. Always felt Savages were "cheapies" Now I don't think so. The numerous synthetic entry guns available make this gun seem solid. I love the wood feel, the blind magazine, the non acutrigger. The bolt feels solid and I can't wait for some sub MOA groups. I'll probably neck up some .243 brass and develop some loads. My powder is limited now to RL 15. Will that work?

Bolthead
03-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Another convert! That is not a bad price at all. Enjoy the "new" rifle. As for the powder, go to Allients web site and see what they have to say. Best place to start.

Stickler
03-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Reloder 15 will work great with 90-95 gr bullets. I load mine with 45.2 gr. It produces sub moa with a 24" barrel.