PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 feeding problems

Rondogg
03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I purchased the Savage model 12 BTCSS varmint rifle in 223. Very accurate rifle, but after about 50 rounds the firearm will now not properly feed a round into the chamber. All it does is jam the nose into the throat and damages the round. I was told from Savage that it could possibly be a bad mag. They sent a new one and the rifle will still not feed a round. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have sent the rifle back to Savage for repair. Thanks

Rondogg
03-15-2016, 09:41 PM
I purchased the Savage model 12 BTCSS varmint rifle in 223. Very accurate rifle, but after about 50 rounds the firearm will now not properly feed a round into the chamber. All it does is jam the nose into the throat and damages the round. I was told from Savage that it could possibly be a bad mag. They sent a new one and the rifle will still not feed a round. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have sent the rifle back to Savage for repair. Thanks

I googled the jamming issues on and see many others have had the same problem multiple issues. Someone on here has to have experienced these problems?? What and how did you resolve? Thanks again.

sharpshooter
03-15-2016, 11:44 PM
It has to do with overall length of the round. Some rounds with shorter bullets tend to hit the chamber mouth right at 6 o'clock. The best fix is to have a feed cone cut on the chamber mouth.

Rondogg
03-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info. During break in I only fed it Hornady 55gr HPBT. After it started having problems I tried a few other makers and it still would not feed. Most of the time it would not pick up a round. And if it did, it would jam it in the throat. If I pushed up on the bottom of the mag that's when it would grab the round and then it would not feed it. The model 12 BTCSS in 223 is not a cheap rifle, it is one the more expensive guns Savage makes. For that money it should function every time with no issues. I hope Savage can fix it. If not I am sure they will replace the rifle. Thanks

vdub
04-02-2016, 02:21 AM
I have same problem with my 116 in 7 rem mag. The bolt drives the bullet forward then, ping... the bullet pops out of the mag sending the base up and nose down. as the bolt continues forward it jams the bullet in the barrel throat. have to send the rifle all the way across country(Canada) to get it fixed just don't understand how they can send a rifle out of the factory in this condition

Rondogg
04-02-2016, 11:22 AM
I have same problem with my 116 in 7 rem mag. The bolt drives the bullet forward then, ping... the bullet pops out of the mag sending the base up and nose down. as the bolt continues forward it jams the bullet in the barrel throat. have to send the rifle all the way across country(Canada) to get it fixed just don't understand how they can send a rifle out of the factory in this condition

I received my 223 BTCSS back last week from Savage. The note in the box said they checked the head space and test fired and all worked. Hmmm, didn't say they adjusted the head space or anything else. I put my scope back on, bore sighted, cleaned it and went to the range. At the range the rifle worked perfectly. I ran 100 rounds through it and not a single problem with feeding or ejecting 3 different makes of ammo. Hope you get the same results.