PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question

nicholas306
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello all, new guy here. I currently have a Savage 10fp, and I love it. Especially when I consistantly have better accuracy and greater muzzle velocity out of my Savage that my buddies 700's.

I am looking into building another rifle. I want a 300 win mag, and I want to build it piece by piece, starting with a Savage action. My question is, how many different models of Savage actions are there? I would like to build it on the long action version of my 10. Would this be the 110?

If I go on savagearms.com, I see that they sell "sporter actions". Is this what Im looking for?

Thanks

fatdaddy
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Welcome,
Yes a long action is a 110. Most savage actions are basicly the same. Target and vlp's are large shank, the rest are small, stevens too. Go to the vendor classifieds and check out Jim at Northland supply. Jim can and will hook you up. Great guy too. Bill

82boy
07-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site.

My question is, how many different models of Savage actions are there?

2 a short and a long, everything else is based off of that.

I would like to build it on the long action version of my 10. Would this be the 110?

Yes, but there is a few changes in the Savage line through out the years. In 2006 Savage changed the magazine style from a stagard feed to a center feed, and therefore change the action a slight bit. The same thing happened in around 2002 when Savage started the accu-trigger they changed the actions just a slight bit for the trigger. There is some other subtle changes.

If I go on savagearms.com, I see that they sell "sporter actions". Is this what Im looking for?

Yes, but you would be better off buying an action from Northland. Just a hair cheaper. You could also buy a Stevens 200 same action as the Savage except for the trigger. IMO this is a much better way to go, then drop in a Sharp Shooters Supply trigger.

nicholas306
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Welcome,
Yes a long action is a 110. Most savage actions are basicly the same. Target and vlp's are large shank, the rest are small, stevens too. Go to the vendor classifieds and check out Jim at Northland supply. Jim can and will hook you up. Great guy too. Bill

Im sorry, what do you mean by large shank and small shank? Thank you for the information.

Yes, but you would be better off buying an action from Northland. Just a hair cheaper. You could also buy a Stevens 200 same action as the Savage except for the trigger. IMO this is a much better way to go, then drop in a Sharp Shooters Supply trigger.

So if I go the Stevens 200 route, there is a long action version? I was actually considering this, just didnt know if there was a long action. And the idea of throwing in a Sharp Shooters Supply trigger sounds like a good one.

Thank you guys for the help, I really appreciate it. Great site by the way.

82boy
07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Majority of Savage are standard or small shank actions. Every once in a while Savage would throw a loop, but for the most part target actions, and magnum actions are large shank, every thing else is a standard shank.

Yes the Stevens 200 is available in a long action. Another option is older 30/06 110's are a dime a dozen, check out gun broker, and pawn shops. (Exact same gun as a Stevens 200.)

jgerrington
07-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I am in the process of building my first savage also. I got a stainless action and barrel from northlander, stock from stockeys. It is more expensive piecing out everything than buying a nice factory rifle but I am learning a LOT more doing it this way. I went with the newer centerfeed internal mag. I will suggest paying membership dues to see classifieds then spend a long time reading this forum. It will answer all your questions.

nicholas306
07-07-2010, 01:46 AM
What is the difference between 111, 112, 114, etc...

Axtell3
07-07-2010, 06:14 AM
110,111,112,114,116....all long actions for longer cartidges.
10,11,12,14,16 short action... the last digit in the number generally signify stock options or stainless vs blued.
Check the Savage site and you'll see.
Shank size is the threaded end of the barrel that screws into the reciever.
The short magnums and target actions are large shank, most others are small shank.

nicholas306
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
110,111,112,114,116....all long actions for longer cartidges.
10,11,12,14,16 short action... the last digit in the number generally signify stock options or stainless vs blued.
Check the Savage site and you'll see.
Shank size is the threaded end of the barrel that screws into the reciever.
The short magnums and target actions are large shank, most others are small shank.

Got it. I knew the difference between the long and short actions, just wasn't sure about that last digit that changes, however you have cleared that up for me.

Thanks everyone for the info.