PDA

View Full Version : 110fp 25.06 tactical

Tmak
03-05-2016, 11:46 PM
About 10 years ago I purchased a new 110FP savage tactical in 25.06 with a heavy varmint barrel in 24". I wanted this as a long distance target rifle. things happened and I only shot the rifle maybe 20 rounds. Its been in the safe ever since. now that I have time to shoot I've decided to get out shooting again. I've decided to change calibers and want to shoot out to 1000 yards one day. I've been hearing a lot about the 6.5x47 lapua and are sold on buying that barrel. But the PROBLEM is, is that caliber is a short action. The 25.06 is a long action. So it appears that I should stay with the long action calibers? If so I'm thinking that the 6.5x55 swede caliber would be the next best bet, and its with the long action! I would like options on this, and choices for the best barrels, lengths, contours, etc. to rebuild my rifle. I only want to do this once as I'm on a budget!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?

darkker
03-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Search my posts, I shot a sporter 25-06 to 1k with 87gr TNT's.... Don't ever let a salesman tell you what you "need" to be able to shoot distance.
Just shoot that rifle, and don't ever leave it alone in the safe that long again!:cool:
If you want to Re-barrel, you don't have to stay long. My former 25-06 is currently a Creedmoor. However if you do want to stay long action, don't build a Sweed. If you are on a budget, be practical build a 6.5-06. You can find 30-06 cases under the couch cushions for heaven sakes.

GaCop
03-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Search my posts, I shot a sporter 25-06 to 1k with 87gr TNT's.... Don't ever let a salesman tell you what you "need" to be able to shoot distance.
Just shoot that rifle, and don't ever leave it alone in the safe that long again!:cool:
If you want to Re-barrel, you don't have to stay long. My former 25-06 is currently a Creed-moor. However if you do want to stay long action, don't build a Swede. If you are on a budget, be practical build a 6.5-06. You can find 30-06 cases under the couch cushions for heaven sakes.

I like the idea of a 6.5-06 and will consider it for my next build. It will certainly outperform the 260 and Swede.

Mike Elmer
03-06-2016, 08:48 AM
I also have the F110 Tactical in 25-06. Using reloads consisting of a Nosler BT 100 gr, and IMR 4831 powder, that rifle will rival anything out there.... 5 shots in one ragged hole @ 100 yds with any cartridge is great starting point. While the 6.5 bullets tend toward higher BCs, that added BC wouldn't do much if the gun and load can't shoot accurately enough.

35Whelenshooter
03-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I vote for the 6.5-06 I have two of them any they shoot superb, I also have a 260 AI that also shoots superb.
If you build long, you will have to stay within the magazine length. If you change and go with a short case in your long action you will be able to seat the bullets out more.

Respectfully
Mike

Tmak
03-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the great info. Initially I wanted to upgrade to something new. I seen a very impressive article on SNIPER CENTRAL on the 6.5x55 sweede. please go read it, and let me know what you think. Its all praise for the 6.5x55 cartridge, and is said that most people are ignorant to this round as its mostly found in Europe. They compare it to the 260 rem, 6.5x47 lapua, and 6.5 creedmore, but say it has more potential then the three mentioned because of the bigger case capacity, and is underrated being a European cartridge, and mostly found in older rifles. They suggest it being built on a target(sniper) platform, and has potential to outperform the other 6.5 cartridges mentioned.

darkker
03-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately that is mostly fluff, assuming you want to not overload things.
Even if you use the Viht data which is full pressure, that case isn't efficient enough to keep up with the 260/Creed; more like the 6.5 Lapua.
Cases aren't cheap, and not found in as many places. Depending upon your view of the world that may be a detriment.

If you want to ignore pressure data and overload cases, then to be fair you would have to overload all equally to make a comparison. Unless you have a Pressure Trace system, you can't do that.

I think you should make the rifle whatever you want, just don't get sucked into the false notion that the Swede is some long-lost holy grail that it isn't.

Tmak
03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Darkker, I guess you didn't take time to read what I asked you to read. Go look at the article which makes so much sense!!! After you read it LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. SNIPER CENTRAL, 6.5X55 (6.5 SWEDISH). THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!

Txhillbilly
03-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Nothing against the 6.5x55 Swede,it's a fantastic cartridge. It's a no brainer to me,go with the 6.5-06 or start shooting the Berger 115 gr VLD bullets out of your 25-06. I have a 110 FLP 25-06,and it loves to shoot the Berger 115 gr VLD's,the custom 6.5-06 that I built for a hunting/target rifle is an excellent shooter also and with the match grade 140 grain bullets will easily reach out to 1k yards.
The 25-06 has more velocity,but does give up on wind drift with the lighter bullet. I do love the 6.5mm choices tho,and shoot three different cartridges-6.5 Creedmoor,260 Remington,and the 6.5-06.

darkker
03-07-2016, 12:49 AM
Darkker, I guess you didn't take time to read what I asked you to read. Go look at the article which makes so much sense!!! After you read it LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. SNIPER CENTRAL, 6.5X55 (6.5 SWEDISH). THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!

I acutally did. A hooker once told me that I was so smart and charming. That also "makes so much sense".... Don't confuse making sense, with someone trying to appeal to you; they are different.
Now as I said, you need to go to Vihtavouri's site and actually look at the pressure tested data. The Swede is a nice cartridge, but more efficient than the 260/Creed, it is not.
Does it have more case capacity? Yes, does that mean it is more efficient, OR can outrun those other cartridges? No.
So what makes more sense: A slightly bigger cartridge that is over 100 years old being more efficient than something designed in the past 10(creed)years when we actually have some technology that is accurate, and able to reliably test pressures? Or an article with ZERO pressure tested data to back anything they say?

We've been pressure testing rifles for a few years now, there are a great many marketing ploy's that we have debunked.
If you followed last years BS about the new FlatLine bullets, we debunked that also. Ultra-low bearing surface area allowing 150gr bullets to be pushed as fast as the 130gr bullets in a 308.
Well, we loaded the same charge of the same powder into the same cases, with the same jump-to-lands with each bullet.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-08-18-59-03_zpst4w0ukh1.png
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-00-14_zps3pazhbys.png

WinnieTheBoom
03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Darkker you done opened a can of worms man! Great data regardless.

I'd recommend:
6.5-06
260 Rem
6.5 Creed
6mm Creed (if you wanted to go smaller)

Probably in that order, but it the 6.5 Swede sounds like it's the second coming :rolleyes:

wbm
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Ahhh why not just forget the 25-06 and all the rest get yourself a 6.5x64 Brenneke. :cool:

Tmak
03-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Ok I appreciate your insight! I need to be realistic about what I have,(long action)and my funds! was thinking the 25.06 was a little light out to 1000 yards versus the 6.5 cartridges. I've been noticing most tournament shooters are going with the 6.5 lupua! I guess its the "LONG LOST HOLLY GRAIL"! But I don't have the short action so I was trying to come up with the best round at a 1000 yards since I'm on a budget. I figured I would decide on barrel swap with either (shilen, criterion, Krieger, mcgowen, or bartlien) with what ever long action caliber I can determined is the HOLLY GRAIL! I will only have the one rifle, and not several like a lot of you! Since you didn't see eye to eye with the article on the 6.5 sweede (long action)from the guys at SNIPER CENTRAL I will consider your thoughts! Maybe I just go with the 6.5-06!!!!! Thanks my man!