PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my first 110 30-06 build

45-70 fella
03-05-2016, 01:02 AM
Hello, I am looking to build my first savage in 30-06. I chose the cartage for several reasons: I am already set up to reload for it, great versatility and good accuracy. I chose the action based on my father and uncle's rifles and recommendation, I also like the ability to switch barrels without extensive labor. If I go hunting in Colorado I will be able to trust it to have enough energy for longer range shots. I feel as though I have all my bases covered with my firearm collection but still lack an accurate, powerful scoped bolt action rifle. I am having several difficulties. I am looking for a cheap long action 110 to re-barrel and restock. I have no idea where you guys find all these great deals because there seems to be none to be had in my area. Second, who makes a quality, affordable barrel? I am looking for a threaded barrel that is at least 24 inches long. I like to target shoot and do not want the barrel to lose accuracy due to getting hot after several shots. I bought the premium membership to look through the classified's but still am a little lost.

strut64
03-05-2016, 07:50 AM
I would look in Gunbroker (I have bought 2 110 Rifles thereat reasonable prices) and remember an action is an action. Even if the stock is beat up or the barrel is shot out you will probably change them out any way. Look at suppliers like Apache, Bison Gunworks, Gun Shack for barrel for example, Also, Boyds stocks have worked for me. Good luck

GaCop
03-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Have you check pawn and gun shops in your area? They can be a pretty good source for used Savages. The price on the tag can be negotiated down quite a bit most places.

jfksc
03-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Maybe decide what's more important....a nice light hunting rifle or a heavy barreled range gun. Reason I say this is that any light spotter contour barrel is going to heat up quickly if you fire 5 consecutive shots, but it will also be a lot nicer to carry in the field and will still be very accurate. A heavy barreled gun will probably give better groups if you want to fire back to back shots at the range, but will be a real bear to carry in the field. Maybe just get a factory 110 or 111....restock it, bed it, and see how you like it. Chances are it will be to your liking. If, down the road you want to re-barrel it you can and you'll have both contour barrels so that if you ever hunt the west you can put the light contour barrel back on. I shoot my 270 with light barrel on it at the range and give it a minute or two between shots and it shoots straight. If I start shooting more frequently then then it will start stringing shots vertically by the 3rd shot. Bringing a 22 or 17hmr to the range is nice so you have something to do while the big gun cools down and also keeps the price of shooting down.

Robinhood
03-05-2016, 03:04 PM
If you choose your own reamer try the Serengeti 30-06 from PTG.

big honkin jeep
03-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I'll second The big auction site as a good place to pick up used rifles and donors on the cheap. Absolute auctions that start at $.01 and a little patience should get you a nice donor especially if it's something not in the latest whiz bang flavor du jour like the good old 30-06.
Patience being the key. Sounds like your ol man and his brother are steering you straight and I wouldn't spend too much time reading everything on the web or you may learn a bunch of stuff that just aint so. A 30-06 is as accurate as most anything out there.
Lots of good barrel makers around but nothing wrong with a factory tube either.
Are you talking about "threaded" as in a pre fit barrel ready to screw on to your action or "threaded" as in ready for a suppressor or brake?
Since you're young and asking questions about building a rifle I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there. Hopefully It will save you some cash. The biggest accuracy improvement to any modern bolt action rifle in good condition is a hand loading kit. Period. It can also be one of the least expensive. (till you become an addict anyway). It will fit every firearm in your collection too.
When you find the magic combination of bullet powder primer 1/2" groups from a modern factory rifle is often doable. I have one 30-06 straight out of the box and the only thing I did to it was adjusted the trigger that amazes everyone that sees it shoot, best group is 10 shots into .446 at 100 yards with hand loads (Sierra Game Kings and IMR4350)
One of the cool things I like about Savage rifles is the ability to modify,and improve the existing components without having to spend a bunch of money on aftermarket. With your membership you have access to some awesome articles on how to do just that.
Good luck and have fun.

45-70 fella
03-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Thank you for the response. I guess I would be looking for a barrel threaded on both ends. I love a good muzzle brake and I rarely shoot with anyone so the blast vented to the sides is a non-issue. I don't have a lathe (yet) and there aren't any competent gunsmiths I know of around here. I do a lot of hand-loading for my father's '06 and unfortunately have already become an addict, but the nice part is that I already have the set up necessary. I cast, reload and shoot a lot and have great fun doing it. My father's Remington 7400 pump shoots great with 125 gr game kings and a hefty load of 2495, would have never guessed!

45-70 fella
03-05-2016, 05:54 PM
I am thinking that the rifle will be a range rifle that is sometimes a hunting rifle more that a strict hunting rifle. All my shots at home are 150 yards and in due to dense cover. For the thick stuff at home I will use my 45-70 brush buster. I have a few spots at home with longer shots from stands but rarely make it to them. I am hoping to go hunting in Colorado sometime in the near future and this would be the rifle I would take. I would rather have the rifle a bit on the heavy side than to disappoint me at the range. I am still young so the weight doesn't bother me as much yet. I also would really like to build the rifle from an action or old rifle. I have a lot of fun tinkering. It brings me a great deal of pride to shoot something that I had a part in making. Is there a barrel contour that is somewhere in the middle of target and sporter? I have never liked the sporter contour barrels, I hate the feeling of launching bullets with a great deal of pressure from something so thin, I know its safe and proven but I would much prefer a thicker barrel