PDA

View Full Version : EGW 20 MOA mounting advise please.

Texas10
03-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Just bought a pair of 20 moa bases from EGW (p/n 41002) to mount on model 12 BVSS and model 12FV, both in 223.

No instructions came with it for installing. Any advise as to what to accomplish or look out for during mounting?

As always, any help is much appreciated, you guys are the greatest!

sharpshooter
03-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Righty tighty- lefty loosey.....:p

idunham
03-05-2016, 08:27 AM
:cool:

GaCop
03-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Just line it up on the receiver and lock tight the screws. Make sure the front screw doesn't contact the barrel threads before you lock tight it.

Texas10
03-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks, sharpshooter. That was helpful :rolleyes:

I presume the base should slant downward towards the muzzle, not upward. Correct? There is a piece of scotch tape under one end, but no directions indicating what it is there for or if it should be left on (maybe to prevent locktite bleed?)

I've read about bedding a base. Is that only for steel bases on high power guns?

Sorry if my questions are too basic, but in this hobby there seems to be an expectation of assumed knowledge present. Perhaps the assumption here is that only a gunsmith would install a scope and base.

My otherwise simple previous installation of a STD leupold base on my BVSS was not so simple when it became apparent the rear base was higher than the front, giving me a 12 moa lift and rings that were out of alignment, with warnings from you guys about possible damage to the scope. Hence my concern about doing it correctly and watching out for any more possible booby traps.:black_eyed:

Texas10
03-05-2016, 09:39 AM
GaCop, thank you very much. I did check to make sure screws did not interfere with bolt operation, having read about that issue before on this forum. Good advise. And the forward screw mount was counter bored less deep to make sure the screw did not bottom out on the barrel. Looked wrong initially because the screw did not seat down as far as the other 3, but checked out perfect.

Pet-Rock
03-05-2016, 12:33 PM
You are correct in that the base should slope downward, or be higher in the rear of the action and lower in the front.

I would lightly tighten all screws, just snug. And then tighten from rear to front a little at a time. If you have a torque wrench I would go in 5 in*lbs intervals to the desired torque setting.

Texas10
03-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Well, I must have done something right while installing the base. Scope is in a much better position, eye relief is near perfect.

Started off today at the range with bore sighting the scope at 100 yds. Put the bolt in and fired the first round of cheap, off the shelf ammo (American Eagle tipped varmint, 50gr.) which landed 2.5 moa low and 2.25 moa left. Not bad for a bore sighting at 100 yds. Cranked in some correction and next shot landed in the 10 ring. Next two landed right on top of it for a 3 shot group of .152". Had to be just dumb luck as winds were 15 to 20 and gusting.

Shot a 20 round load work up in round robin fashion, and finding I need to clean every 10 shots or so to keep the accuracy in this new gun.

Beginning to look like it might be a shooter.:thumb:

drybean
03-06-2016, 11:09 PM
great job, great shooting
it only gets better