PDA

View Full Version : Who has removed their action from the Accustock?

AustinCQC
07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm wanting to get an accustock rifle and have the muzzle threaded for a muzzle brake, but have heard some stories about having a lot of difficulty removing the action and even more trouble reinstalling it. I was wondering if anybody has done a write up or taken pics while they did it.

Also, can somebody clarify what happens if you overtorque your screws with the accustock? I remember reading something about putting pressure on a wedge which gives you a flier from the added pressure on the barrel or action or something.

Thanks all!

82boy
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
The accu stock, is a PIA to get back together, but not so bad taking it apart. The problem is with the accu-wedge. To remove the stock take the front and rear action screws out. (The rear screw you have to push in the bolt release, the front you have to push in the magazine release to access the screws.) The accu-wedge screw (The furthest forward) unscrew it several turns, but not all the way out. Keep your allen wrench in that screw, and push it up into the stock as you remove the action from the stock. The stock should come out.

To re-install make sure the accu-wedge is unscrewed out as far as it will go without being un-attached to the screw. Take your allen wrench, and again push the screw up as far as it will go inside the stock, and place the action in. you may have to wiggle the action, and move it in and out a few times until it drops in. Then tighten down the front action screw and then the back and then the accu-wedge screw. I found that the gun shot best with the accu-wedge just lightly tight. (IMO the best thing to do is just throw the accu-wedge away, it does nothing more than the same thing as placing the rifle on it recoil pad as you tighten the action screws.)

On www.savageaccuracy.com they have a torque sequence to use.

bluealtered
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I have one in a 10pc. The first time did take a little longer to put back together, after that it wasn't bad. I have to agree that the wedge should be left loose or out. With it tight i did get flyers, with it loose it will make touching groups with hunting loads from an open rest. blue

MSG Janoski
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I haven't had any problems, I followed these instructions;
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,29836.msg213345.html#msg213345