PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: My Savage FVSR 22LR in its New Outfit. One of my Best Financial Scores!

twillis07
03-04-2016, 12:16 PM
So here is the long story of how i got this gun for basically free!

Ok, so about 2 years ago i bought an old beat up Savage Mark ii from a gentleman for about $60 bucks. This thing had alot of surface rust and the stock looked like someone left it in the dirt for 2 years then just wiped it off with a dry paper towel. . It was the standard version without the accutrigger and just had the sporter barrel with the iron sights. But for $60 how could i say no? The action still worked the bolt wasnt rusted and the bore was still clean and bright! Well when i got home i started to look at it and think "what can i do to make this gun seem less...sad?" Well a few years before that i did a mod using an old airsoft gun (g36c) and a mossberg 702 plinkster. it made the gun look great and very fun to shoot. So i figured maybe i could recreate that "Military/Tacticool" look in a bolt action form. I found this L96 airsoft stock online as a broken gun for about $40 bucks... i figured, if it didn't work i wouldnt be out much money. Well as luck would have it, when i got the Airsoft gun it actually functioned completely fine, i just had to fix a spring in the trigger. so i took of all the parts i didnt need and instantly posted them for sale on ebay.. guess what they sold for?? $40! So now i'm left with the plastic frame and an aluminum block that held the Airsoft action and barrel in place and i had $0 invested in it. so i went to town with my dremel and some JB weld and after about a weeks time i had the action sitting in the aluminum block perfectly. i was so thrilled to FINALLY have it done because i had invested close to 20 hours total to make it right. So about one year passes and i was loving my little plinker. Thats when i came across an AMAZING deal. a guy was selling his FVSR for $175. i was happy with buying that and calling it a day, but as we got to talking he told me he had also purchased a Boyds Tactical for the rifle too! after a little haggle i was able to score the rifle with the original stock AND the Boyds with all the metal workings for $250! I know, that alone is worth a write up isnt it? lol. well i quickly went to installing the FVSR into my custom stock and put the old savage back into its original stock that i had cleaned up and made look like a normal stock again and not something someone cleaned their butt with. So at this point i realized, "i dont need 2 of the same gun with 4 total stocks. (2 normal plastic stocks, 1 boyds tactical, and my custom). I posted the basic Mark ii online in its original stock and re blued by me for $150. it sold that day. I also posted the other plastic stock on Ebay and it sold for $50. I kept the Boyd stock for a few months and would switch back and forth, as i liked them both very much but obviously i played favorite to my custom stock. I finally decided it was time to clear place for a new gun and the Boyd stock found its self of the chopping block. Off to Ebay it went for $125. And now... well now we are caught up to current time and i have my trusty Savage Mark ii FVSR and my Custom L96 stock... all for a grand total investment of about +$15 and about 30 hours of my time invested in the stock and all the bartering. Id say all in all it was a good investment. Hope you guys enjoyed the LONG read. if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask. Im a long time Savage fan and new to the forum. I look forward to getting to know everyone!
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a469/ballensince88/Mobile%20Uploads/20160304_084455_zpswsa18vjd.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/ballensince88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160304_084455_zpswsa18vjd.jpg.html)]

MVP01
03-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Nice score! A little bit of time, patients, and elbow grease and you pieced together the rifle you wanted for next to nothing. How much does your rig weigh ?

twillis07
03-06-2016, 09:32 PM
That is actually a really good question. I will take a weight on it tomorrow when I get home from work. I just recently took out this weight that was in the butt stock. I'm guessing it was to make the old airsoft seem more heavy. That lightened up the rear a lot but now it seems front heavy with the barrel, bipod and newly mounted flashlight. I'm almost afraid to see how heavy it is. Lol

twillis07
03-18-2016, 10:10 AM
9lbs.. that's the weight with the scope, bipod, and light.

Lorenzo
04-08-2016, 04:39 PM
super sweet. So the airsoft stock had a solid aluminum block in it and you hogged it out and bedded it in with jb? how does it shoot?

twillis07
04-12-2016, 09:28 PM
super sweet. So the airsoft stock had a solid aluminum block in it and you hogged it out and bedded it in with jb? how does it shoot?
That is exactly what I did. Shoots great. I'll have to get some decent glass and get some groups from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk