PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed 110 6.5 Build

albaugh6
03-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Okay, I have finally made my decisions, either the growing popularity of the 6.5 creedmore I decided to go that route. I am seeing 6.5 ammo in stores more and more often and not too bad of a price, I suspect to see the price go down as well as companies are building factory rifles in the caliber.

I am going with the following.
I currently own a model 110 30-06
Top bolt release with blind mag
Using that as my donor action.
Ultimate sniper stock will be used for this build
Swfa fixed 10x or 12x will be starting optic

ADVICE needed
Keep in mind this rifle will be used for long range precision shooting, range gun.

Barrel manufacture?
Barrel length?
Contour?

What scope base to buy?
What rings would you use?

What extra parts would you do?
Recoil lug? And include manufacturer names
Bolt handle?

Will I need to modify bolt stroke or mag size for this caliber?

Please list anything else I am not including, will start ordering parts this week. This will be my first bolt gun build.

Also has anyone had any luck with painting or modifying the ultimate sniper stock? I am not a huge fan of the looks of the stock. But I'm after performance, but help with ascetics would be nice as well.

Pics are more than welcome of people who have built a similar build.

Thanks For your Guys consistent help!!'

LongRange
03-04-2016, 01:04 PM
im in caps below...and keep in mind i like the higher end parts and i do think they work better but there are less expensive ways to go...

Okay, I have finally made my decisions, either the growing popularity of the 6.5 creedmore I decided to go that route. I am seeing 6.5 ammo in stores more and more often and not too bad of a price, I suspect to see the price go down as well as companies are building factory rifles in the caliber.

ADVICE needed
Keep in mind this rifle will be used for long range precision shooting, range gun.

Barrel manufacture?
BARTIEN OR KREIGER SECOND CHOICE WOULD BE A SHILEN SELECT MATCH
Barrel length?
26-28"
Contour?
HEAVY VARMINT FOR THE FIRST TWO S8 FOR THE SHILEN

What scope base to buy?
MURPHY PRECISION 20 MOA
ARC M10s

A NICE SLING AND QD SLING MOUNTS A NICE BIPOD MAYBE A MONOPOD
NSS NUT AND LUG
Bolt handle?
GLADES ARMORY TACTICAL

NOT 100% SURE BUT I DONT THINK SO

Please list anything else I am not including, will start ordering parts this week. This will be my first bolt gun build.
ARE YOU GOING TO RUN A BREAK? JP ENTERPRISE RECOIL ELIMINATOR

Also has anyone had any luck with painting or modifying the ultimate sniper stock? I am not a huge fan of the looks of the stock. But I'm after performance, but help with ascetics would be nice as well.
ID SUGGEST GOING WITH A CHASSIS

psharon97
03-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Since this is a range gun, not something to hump over hill and dale, a bull contour barrel ~1" in diameter. Barrel manufacturer will mostly depend on who chambers the barrel. If you want a quality barrel quickly, I would contact Jim and NSS. I've personally used CBI, Douglas, and Brux. All are great shooters. For scope rails, I typically use EGW. Rings, I like the Vortex precision rings which are made by Seekins. I would replace the recoil lug with an NSS or SSS recoil lug. You won't need to modify anything to go from a 30-06 to a 6.5creed. I would replace the trigger with a SSS competition trigger and get a SSS Time and True job.

wbm
03-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Barrel? CBI Varmint or Bull Contour 26" Minimum.

Kadams1563
03-05-2016, 11:29 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160306/7235844c79bf406829e1300623ee771b.jpg

There is a 26" CBI in heavy varmint contour. I used seekins rings and scope base.

psharon97
03-05-2016, 11:38 PM
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P1012946_zpsqxp07aly.jpg (http://s644.photobucket.com/user/psharon97/media/P1012946_zpsqxp07aly.jpg.html)

Old SS action that I purchased off the forums here and had a Rifle Basix Savage II trigger
T&T job by Fred at SSS
CBI Varmint contour in 260
Glades Armory bolt handle
EGW 20 MOA rail with Vortex precision low rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 PST FFP scope
MultiCam cerakote by local shop.

Another build is this:

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P2211480.jpg (http://s644.photobucket.com/user/psharon97/media/P2211480.jpg.html)
This is a 308 Douglas bull barrel chambered by Fred at SSS
T&T Job and competition trigger
Old picture but now wears a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 SFP scope with 20MOA rail and weaver tactical rings
Choate UV stock. (No plans to upgrade the stock)

Tmak
03-06-2016, 01:21 AM
I have the stock your looking for. I love it but are changing up my design with another caliber. I have the ultimate sniper stock in long action. I have my 110FP on it. its a 25.06. its like new and sitting in my safe. I've shot 20 rounds through the barrel while in this stock. love the aluminum bedding blocks. cant even feel recoil much. I paid $200. Sells for $150 plus what ever shipping is.

darkker
03-06-2016, 02:53 AM
1) Barrel manufacture?
2) Barrel length?
3) Contour?
4) What scope base to buy?
5) What rings would you use?
6) What extra parts would you do?
7) Recoil lug? And include manufacturer names
8) Bolt handle?
9) Will I need to modify bolt stroke or mag size for this caliber?
10) Also has anyone had any luck with painting or modifying the ultimate sniper stock? I am not a huge fan of the looks of the stock. But I'm after performance, but help with ascetics would be nice as well.

Yikes! This isn't painting by numbers, do what you want.
1) I can shoot accurately to a mile with my factory barrels & ER Shaw. Spend however much extra makes you happy.
2) Really doesn't matter. Anyone tells you that longer gains you a bunch of speed; has no clue what they are talking about. Read this, not Un-like the section in Speer's manual "why ballisticians get grey"
http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/
3-4-5) buy the shizz you want. One won't allow you to make hits, where the other knocks-up your sister. I have a 15 MOA canted base, because I measured and cut aluminum foil under some cheap-arse no name bases. They work fine.
6-7-8). I say put the thing together and start shooting. When you find something you don't like, then address it. Most of that crap is worrying about the color of the curtains. I run stock recoil lugs, because they work. The Pope did not personally send angels to come and tea bag them for me; but it isn't a point of glaring inaccuracy. If it's bent, properly bed the rifle and move-on.
9) No, not likely. I've used a 7mm Mag to build a 22-250 with no issues. But have also had trouble with 243 to 308, Savage QC is poor enough that there isn't a real concrete answer other than maybe not.
10) curtains.... Yes, you can re-paint them. If you look closely near the safety you can see the color difference on mine. Was painted on the super cheap, about a decade ago. And yes, yes you do detect a piece of popsicle stick under the check riser. http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150208_141836_zpsmsmefwpi.jpg

bearcatrp
03-06-2016, 12:26 PM

ADVICE needed

Barrel manufacture?
Barrel length?
Contour?

What scope base to buy?

Bolt handle?

Why butcher a nice rifle when you can get a savage 6.5cm fairly reasonable. 10T 6.5cm should be out this month. Or step up to the stealth for a bit more but coming sometime this spring. Or really step up and get the ashberry when it comes out this fall. Unless you just hate the 30-06, always nice to have both.

Damon555
03-06-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm with darkker on this one. There is absolutely no need to spend a fortune when many of the factory parts you already have will work fine. Sure it's nice to have the big name brand equipment but for a factory action it's all just window dressing. I've got a 6XC built on a Savage action with a Criterion bull barrel sitting in a Choate Ultimate varmint stock and it shoots excellent out to 800 yards.....which is all the farther I can shoot at the moment. Optics are something you should spend some money on....lots of options out there...get ya some Burris rings to put the scope in and get a base that fits the rifle.....bases are another place people waste a lot of money. I've got a 20 MOA weaver base that cost 30 bucks and works just as well as anything out there at more than twice the price.

Don't throw money at names that won't do you much good any way.

Tobbe
03-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi.I would go for 6.5x55 swede. Have two rifles in this caliber. Works excellent for long range and Hunting.
Optimal barrel length is 27.5" but 26" works good as well.
In the 27.5barrel i get 2920 fps easily good groups at 200 yrds 0.3-0.4 moa 136 gr lapua scenar L and Berger 140gr hybrids.

wbm
03-07-2016, 04:58 PM
I say put the thing together and start shooting. When you find something you don't like, then address it.

There ya go! Good post Darkker.