PDA

View Full Version : Stockade VS Manners?

Archangel
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Hello all
I'm new to the forum, and i was wondering your take on the Stockade stocks vs the Manners. particularly between the Prairie Dog and the the MCS-T4. I understand the Manners has a solid reputation, quality right along side of McMillan. How does the Stockade compare between the two? The way I'm seeing it is, I can get the P-dog with the adjustable comb AND an adjustable butt plate for $585 VS the Manners T4 with only the adjustable comb and a fixed butt plate for $615 still leaving around $100+ for me too add a 3 way adjustable butt plate. The but plate is almost a must for me due to me being 6'6" and having gorilla length arms, and to be able to colapse it to fit it in my case. This will be snuggling up to a 111 in a 300win mag, SSS trigger, a "nutless" 28" Brux barrel and a muscle brake. Thanks guys

Archangel

jpdown
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Don't know about Manners stock, but the Stockade Hunter I got would be hard to beat in terms of fit, function and quality. Go with the Stockade and get adjustable comb and butt plate to start. Kevin Rayhill is easy to work with, does the job right and has a reputation for making a great stock. And the P-dog is perfect for a Savage build as many on this site can confirm.

Archangel
07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks jpdown

Well after doing a little more searching, you were definatly right the Stockade definatly is a top notch stock with a lot of happy owners. I think I would have had to send my barreled action to manners also for the inletting also. So it looks like i will be getting myself a Pdog. Now ive just got to get everything else together so i can start working up some loads while watermelons are still cheep (great targets)

Archangel

Cover Dog
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I got a Stockade Rollover Cheek Thumbhole about a month ago and it is a very nice stock. I purchased the money saver stock and had very little to do to it. Wait time is the only problem with anything "custom". Mine took just under 20 weeks to deliver.

boolitschuuter
07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I've gotten two Woodchuck/ tacticals from Kevin. I waited 12 and 16 weeks. It was well worth the wait. Fit was very close, bedding my actions consisted mostly of just a thick skim coat with steel bed epoxy.

pa hog
07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Hands down the Manners are nicer stocks with a better fit-up, but your gonna pay for it. I just bought a finished Stockade Prarie Dog for a Target action and am Very disapointed with the fit-up. I'd rather send my Barreled action to Manners (Which I've done before) than have to sand off a finish I payed for to open up the barrel channel for a factory barrel contour. I also just bought a H-S from Stocky which fit perfectly on my Model 10 Action.

21 Guns
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
first thing I want to say is that I'm in NO WAY bashing stockade, Kevin's a great guy, that makes a great product for the money... BUT, stockade stocks are nowhere near a Manners... they're better than a B&C or anything cheaper than them, as good as a HS, but not in the league of Manners or McM... but again, if you're looking to save a little they'll make all but the most picky VERY happy, and if you'll send the barreled action to Kevin, he'll make everyone happy, and do it for less $$$ than most.

dolomite_supafly
07-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Stockade can make the stock pretty much any length of pull you want, within reason. I had them make one with 1" longer pull for me. Didn't take any longer or cost any more to have it done either. Because each stock is made to YOUR request it can be built and confirgured however you want. I have had my PDS/T for a couple of years now and have absolutely no complaints. I bought the money saver version and it took about an hour and $20 to get it looking great.

I would give Kevin a call and talk to him about it. Make sure you have a little bit of time because he is an enjoyable person to talk to.

Dolomite