PDA

View Full Version : Where to focus reticle or target?

Pages : [1] 2

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 03:54 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with my reticle disappearing. When I first look through my scope (6x24 FFP PST) the reticle is sharp and thick. The more I look through my eyes adjust and focus on what I'm looking at through the scope. When this happens my reticle completely disappears. I have to close my eyes and let them readjust constantly.

Is this a training issue or a scope set up issue. I'm having a hard time trying to get the LOP and they eye relief perfect as well. If on low power I have to move back some and on max power scoot up some. This scope doesn't seem to have a spot that likes a single spot for the entire magnification range.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 04:56 PM
yes its a training issue and at some point you will get use to it as long as you practice enough...im assuming your shooting with both eyes open?....i set my LOP to where it feels comfortable with the scope just setting in the rings and then mount my scope and make needed adjustments with the scope on full powder...for me its easier to be comfortable at full power because as you turn the power down the eye box is much more forgiving...i also do most of my set up in the field because ive set up my rifle in my room in the past and when i get out it was never right.

another thing what position are you shooting from?

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Shooting from prone position. If I keep both eyes open I can see the reticle better but the target is supper blurry then. I have been tinkering with my chassis and scope for a few weeks now and nothing feels right lol. I think I have too many adjustments.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
i set my rings as far apart as they can be set with a chassis so that eliminates the scope needing to be moved forward or back then make all the other adjustments with the butt stock...you should be able to mount your rifle set your cheek open your eyes and be in the eye box or very close. when you make your adjustments make sure you are in a comfortable relaxed position and then you need to repeat that position the next time you shoot...if your position changes your going to think or feel like your LOP or other adjustments are not right so it may be partly your not mounting the rifle the same way each time.

for the eye issue...this worked well for me....i would set up and before i fired a round i would lay behind my rifle with both eyes open for 5-10mins every time id go out(and still do)and while waiting for the barrel i will lay there and look through the scope...i timed myself a couple of weeks ago and i can look through my scope for 20mins before i start having issues.

you need to find a happy medium with your adjustments and practice.

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 05:15 PM
With making all the adjustments with the stock I would think my LOP would be awfully short. I was doing it the other way. I measured myself and set the LOP then mounted the scope.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 05:25 PM
and thats how a lot of ppl do it but it dont work so well for me...i will set my LOP to where the butt is in my shoulder but not real firm i will then shoot a few rounds and if i feel myself wanting to roll my shoulder forward i will lengthen the LOP...this allows me to move forward or back without having the butt to tight or to loose...for me if the butt is in my shoulder to tight i have a hard time staying still on target if the butt isnt tight enough i catch myself wanting to roll my shoulder forward.

LoneWolf
03-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Clear reticle, slightly blurry target. Focus on the portion of the reticle that is currently your aiming reference and put that on the target. I don't dial for wind, so that's why I explained it the way I did.

Staring at the target will cause you to shoot around the target or not where you intended to hit.

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 05:28 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/53d36d94078f525c09b062232a0d07f2.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/e6989eaeb2e099bbee0c96d38182f257.jpg

Here are some pics of the scope ring placement and the LOP. I'm 6 feet tall so I feel like the LOP could be a little shorter. If I place the rings as far as I can apart then I will be moving the scope probably 2 inches towards the bolt.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 05:29 PM
another adjustment you may want to play with is the cant on the butt stock.

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Wth. I had that level. I don't know wth happened to it.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 05:32 PM
the first thing i notice is your check rset looks like it is lower at the scope end? second IMHO the scope is to far back.

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 05:33 PM
My cheek rest was lower for some reason. I guess I didn't tighten the screws back up after tinkering with it and trying to get it right. DOH!

LongRange
03-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Wth. I had that level. I don't know wth happened to it.

the cant i was refering to is canting the check piece over a little to the eye you shoot with.

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Ok so I didn't worry about measurements. I spaced the rings as far as I could apart and re leveled the scope. I then set on 24x and got in the prone position. Loosened the stock up and pushed the rifle as far forward as I could. I got into position and slowly pulled the rifle back towards me. Once I got a clear view I stopped and tightened the stock. I have to lean back ever so slightly to get a clear view on 6x but it's much better now.

I'm pretty sure I shorted the LOP a few inches.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/9aaa52199c9b722d9bb980a6ae298854.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/3a8f78d10bf395d8c337d0e849008cca.jpg

LongRange
03-03-2016, 08:32 PM
It's sure looks better to me but I'm not the shooter...now try this...lay down put your cheek on the rest with your eyes closed and in a comfortable position and open your eyes...you should be looking through the scope of not raise or lower your head until you are and adjust as needed...or if you have to move to one side to be in the eye box cant the entire butt stock in that direction and repeat...once your there see how everything feels and only make small adjustments if needed...if you have to crane your neck in any way make small adjustments until your comfortable

Kadams1563
03-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Yea I did a lot of that already. Honestly it's hard to adjust these things when you don't have any help. I have a 4 day long range class next month and I hope during that time I will get used to what feels good and what don't. Then I can make adjustments with other people watching and helping me get set up.

LongRange
03-03-2016, 08:40 PM
try only loosening the screws enough to where things are movable but not flopping loosely around if that makes sense

LongRange
03-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Also I seen some or a cap that goes over your scope that you can see targets at 10' or so and they are good for the eye focus issue your having because you can practice in the house or back yard but like I said I don't remember what they are called or where I seen them

67tundra
03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
http://8541tactical.com/IOTA_review.php

Haven't tried one but have heard a lot of good about them.

LongRange
03-04-2016, 09:28 AM
http://8541tactical.com/IOTA_review.php

Haven't tried one but have heard a lot of good about them.

thanks 67tundra...and now the funny part...i shoot with chuck at our matches...he is also one of the RSOs...so im guessing he told me about these at some point but as you can tell i must not of been paying attention LOL!