PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Swap

gunjnkie
07-06-2010, 01:57 AM
First off, just wanted to say that I am glad to have found this forum. I've been reading for a few weeks now and have to say that the knowledge base here is fantastic!!

Now I need to tap that knowledge base. Just got my first Savage rifle a couple of weeks ago, a Mod 111 in 270 Win, though it will be changing to a 257 Roberts in a few weeks for my kids . Additionally, I have a Mod 10 in 243 Win w/ accutrigger coming in about 4 weeks. Until I get the new barrel for the 111 (will be several weeks cuz I've drained the reserve funds) the kids will be shooting the Mod 10. They are just starting to shoot center fire and I don't want them shooting with accutrigger yet. So, can I swap the triggers on the two rifles for the time being and then swap them back once I rebarrel the 111?

Thanks in advance....John

BillPa
07-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Actually John, all you need to do is remove the Accu-Blade then re-install it later ,no need to swap triggers. Simply remove the trigger hinge pin, remove the blade and reinstall the pin. Keep in mind however, you'll lose the safety feature of the AT.

Bill

gunjnkie
07-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks Bill! That will make life much easier.

hailstone
07-06-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm wondering why you want to do this especially to new shooters. First your removing a valuable safety device. Second your handicapping new shooters with a trigger that may have a heavy pull. The're trying to learn many things at once and its easy for young shooter to become discouraged. Don't further handicap them with a stiff heavy trigger pull.

BillPa
07-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm wondering why you want to do this especially to new shooters. First your removing a valuable safety device. Second your handicapping new shooters with a trigger that may have a heavy pull. The're trying to learn many things at once and its easy for young shooter to become discouraged. Don't further handicap them with a stiff heavy trigger pull.

I kinda agree. I put a 14AC together for my nine year old grandson. Although he's been shooting since he was six for his first venture out in the field I felt much better having the 14 with the AT in his claws, so all his range time for three months prior was almost exclusively with the 14.

His only complaint, Pop didn't load more ammo!

Bill

gunjnkie
07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Hailstone, you make an excellent point about the safety feature of the accutrigger, and about the pull weight. The reason that I don't want them shooting an accutrigger just yet is two fold: 1) because I want them to learn proper shooting technique by using the tang safety, and keeping their finger off the trigger until they are ready to fire, and 2) once the 111 is rebarreled for them, it will not have the accutrigger, so I don't want them to become used to that only to take it away from them later. Actually, I'm more worried about them becoming discouraged by recoil than I am a stiff heavy trigger. My daughter doesn't mention recoil much, but my two boys are always asking about recoil (or kickback as my youngest son calls it). So to minimize that aspect, I'm going to start with lighter bullets and loads and build them up a little at a time.