PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Lightweight Hunter 6,5x284

krucknwig
03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Hello,

I´m new here and I´m from Germany. My english is not the best, so please excuse some mistakes.

Now here is my question:

The dealer next door has a 111 Lightweight Hunter caliber 6,5x284. The Rifle is very cheap, because
no one wants to buy this Caliber.
I´m Reloader, so the Ammunition is no problem.

Has anyone this rifle with this caliber?
Whats about the accuracy?

I know, there will be some more better calibers, but I hope to get groups of 0,5 MOA / 100m.
Do you think this is possible?

Has anyone Reload Data for this combination?

Thanks for your answers.

Krucknwig

wbm
03-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Your English is way better than my German. 6.5x284 has a lot going for it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Londerko
03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
6.5x284 is "The Cartridge" for the Western Planes here in the States. It can push a high BC 140gr bullet arround 3000 fps. It doesn't get a lot better than that more long range antelope and mule deer hunting in open country. Plus significantly less recoil than the bigger calibers with similar Balistic performance

krucknwig
03-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your very fast answers.

What do you think,is the Barrel length about 20 inches not to short?

AbitNutz
03-03-2016, 12:40 PM
The barrel is too short. I have a Savage Model 12 F/TR...it has a 30 inch bull barrel. The 6.5mm-284 Norma is somewhat of an overbore cartridge. It needs a long barrel and it needs a large diameter barrel as well. This cartridge develops a serious amount of heat. A short light weight barrel is not a good choice for this cartridge. The 6.5mm-284 Norma is a wonderful cartridge but it is somewhat specialized and needs care a feeding.

Stockrex
03-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Krucknwig
Wie gehts?
I wish my German was as good as your English

the caliber is fine but it is a bit overkill for shooting 100m.
the downside of a 6.5x284 is that it is a barrel burner, so you would be looking at a new barrel soon.
if a new barrel cost 200 euros and your rifle is 200 euros off the sticker price, go for it.
have some fun with the caliber and then buy a barrel to switch to different caliber.

You can switch to any of these calibers:

Short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .470 +/-
225 Winchester, 22/250 Remingtion, 6mm Norma BR, 243 Win, 250 Savage, 260 Rem,
6.5/284 Norma, 7/08 Rem, 284 win, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 35 Rem, and
the 358 Winchester.

I am a fan of 6mm br, very efficient and accurate caliber.

krucknwig
03-03-2016, 02:21 PM
@Stockrex, mir geht's gut und Dir?

Here are some additional infos.

I'm hunting at the mountains of South Bavaria.
There are many heavy places to hunt so we have to walk and climb several hours for good hunting places.

At the moment my rifle is a german Mauser. Now I'm looking for a light rifle and a flat shooting caliber. I have seen the Savage at my dealer.

Hair_Boxers
03-03-2016, 06:54 PM

There are many heavy places to hunt so we have to walk and climb several hours for good hunting places.

At the moment my rifle is a german Mauser. Now I'm looking for a light rifle and a flat shooting caliber. I have seen the Savage at my dealer.

That rifle fits the needs for lightweight and flat shooting. If hunting is its primary purpose it's probably a great fit, especially if the price is right for you.

If you are going to spend a lot of time target shooting it is probably not the best rifle, given the short barrel not being optimum for the cartridge and the tendency for 6.5x284 to wear barrels out fast.

And as Stockrex says, if the price is right and you can get a new barrel when the time is right you really can't go wrong. The flexibility of Savage's to be rebarreled easily is a benefit to you the way I see it.

Stockrex
03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
@Stockrex, mir geht's gut und Dir?

ich hatte die Grippe, jetzt ich bin besser

what kind of game are you hunting and how is the terrain in the mountains where you hunt?

that rifle is perfect for walking the woods and carrying it all day.

jpdown
03-08-2016, 06:49 PM
The Savage 111 LWH in 6.5x284 has a 20" barrel with light or featherweight contour. They are nice compact carry rifles for hunting in tight places and close quarters. I've owned several Savage LWH in .260, 7mm08 and .280AI. The 20" factory barrels will shoot 0.5 to 1" MOA groups with hand loads. But with the light contour the barrels heat up fast. But if the price is right, you can't go wrong with a Savage LA, LWH. The LWH walnut stock is light, yet very solid for accurate shooting. And the long action LWH gives you the ability to re-barrel to any of the Savage small shank factory 22" sporter contour barrels. That's if you find the 20" 6.5x284 barrel does not meet your needs.

krucknwig
03-15-2016, 04:57 AM
ich hatte die Grippe, jetzt ich bin besser

what kind of game are you hunting and how is the terrain in the mountains where you hunt?

that rifle is perfect for walking the woods and carrying it all day.

Hallo Stockrex,

schön, dass es Dir wieder gut geht.

Yesterday I have bought the Rifle. It is a really fine Lightweight. Dies Brasses, Bullets an Powder are at home. Now I will reload some Ammunition and at the End of the week, i will test it.

So Guys, thanks for your answers and i will post the results at the End of the week.

Krucknwig

krucknwig
03-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Here some news:

I´ve tested the rifle at the last week and I´m very happy about the accuracy. All Loads are between 0,4 and 0,6 MOA at 110 Yds.
The last group was incredible 0,23 MOA. All groups 3 Shots. Next week i will test again and than i will go hunting with it.

Thanks for all answers

Krucknwig