PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Build

albaugh6
03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I am thinking I will leave my 110 in 30-06 alone and build a 6.5 creedmor from a short action, for there growing popularity. What savage action would be the best to buy? Idea is to buy the hog hunter, put glass on it, put new stock on it and shoot for a little while, then rebarrel and start shooting 6.5.

WinnieTheBoom
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Any Model 10-16 SA will work...

If you like the Hog Hunter then go for it! Just don't expect it to resemble anything of a Hog Hunter after the bug bites you :p

albaugh6
03-02-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm more worried about my stock options with different models, I know if I was going a chassis, it wouldn't matter what action I got. But what model savage will already have the magazine set up I want for the most aftermarket stock options

talltimber
03-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Hog hunter has a blind mag I think?

WinnieTheBoom
03-02-2016, 01:07 PM
There are so many aftermarket options you really don't need to worry about it. SA's are all pretty much the same... either blind mag or DBM. There are plenty of stock options for both. It really comes down to the bolt release, as you'll have the most options with a top lever as opposed to bottom or side release, but again, there are so many options that it really doesn't matter.

All model 10-16 actions are virtually the same, other than bolt release. Find one set up for the magazine that you want (dbm or blind), figure out which bolt release you want, buy an action and a stock. There are so many different variables, it's just a matter of deciding what you want to do.

Hotolds442
03-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Choosing a top bolt release model gives you the most stock options.
IMO, a Hog Hunter is the perfect base model to choose for upgrading. Initial cost is low, the takeoff barrel is good for about $100 on the open market, and the stock is good for another $35-50. Yes, it is a blind mag model, but all of the current Savage sporter magazines can be converted to DBM by simply adding the mag bottom that works with your new stock and bottom metal choice. The direction you're wanting to go can easily be done in steps - buy a creed barrel and do the swap, shoot it for a while with the factory stock, as you gather the parts required to upgrade the stock and bottom metal.

albaugh6
03-02-2016, 11:32 PM
I agree on the hog hunter being the best model to build from now. However would anyone see an advantage to building my 110 instead of going with the model 11. I have intentions of going elk hunting one day and the 30-06 seems like a good suit for that. That's the only reason to keep it they way it is. However I would be willing to build it and buy another rifle for elk hunting in the future.

FW Conch
03-02-2016, 11:46 PM
My vote is for the Hog Hunter because of the reasons pointed out by others, especially the top bolt release. You don't need a long action for the Creedmore JMHO :-)

albaugh6
03-03-2016, 10:52 AM
My model 110 is a top bolt release as well. If your referring to the little lever on the top left of the action to release the bolt

LoneWolf
03-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Just male sure it's a 4.4" Screw Spacing and not the shorter version if you want to get a higher end stock. 4.4" seems to be the most common in after market support. I was just looking on the McMillan Site last night and they even support the bottom bolt release now.