PDA

View Full Version : question about scope mounting

crest117
03-01-2016, 12:58 PM
I am in the process of mounting a scope on a Savage Axis using a Weaver one piece mount and Weaver medium height quadlock rings. I had to file down the front edge of the mount to get enough clearance. My question is, how much clearance is the minimum between the front bell of the scope and the barrel? I would like to keep this scope mounted as low as possible. Would one sixteenth of an inch be enough clearance?

Rosco
03-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Did you factor in a scope cover as well?

pisgah
03-01-2016, 03:07 PM
1/16 should be sufficient unless, as Rosco has pointed out, your scope cover won't fit with things that close together.

Russmerle
03-01-2016, 08:35 PM
If the cover doesn't fit maybe pick up a Leupy soft cover at bass pro or something...

yobuck
03-02-2016, 10:17 AM
If the cover doesn't fit maybe pick up a Leupy soft cover at bass pro or something...

Before people like Leupy made them and there were places like Bass Pro to sell them we made our own.
Back then lots of tires still required inner tubes, and I suppose if you looked hard you might
still find one. A wide rubber band cut from a tube was as good as it gets for covering the lenses.
We could even afford a few extras or help somebody else with a few from one old tube.