PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10p tactical (Oal to ogive)

MtnSav308
03-01-2016, 11:30 AM
I haven't seen much on these rifles. I think they were some kind of production run or something. My main question is do savages normally have a tighter action or (shorter throat) than most rifles ( in general). I know every rifle will be a little different. The rifle is extremely accurate with 175 smk's. But I was wanting a true hunting/ long range bullet because I shoot out to 1000 yards also. Looking at the new hornady 178 eld-x. I've loaded and shot a few they seem to be a great bullet,but are longer so I'm having to seat them out quite a bit farther. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the savages and what they sem to like jumping to the lands. I know this is pretty broad but just wanting hear some other people's experiences. Thanks

pitsnipe
03-01-2016, 04:52 PM
MtnSav308

Different bullets of the same weight can/will have different OAL when seated at the same distance from the lands and grooves. This being one may have a tangent (Berger VLD is a good example) and the other a secant ogive. The difference in taper realitive to the overall length is what you might be running into. On my Mdl 10 .308 the 175 SMK with a 30 thousandths jump to the lands (albeit a well used throat) is 2.250 base to ogive.

Snipe

bearcatrp
03-01-2016, 06:34 PM
I asked hornady about loading the 178 XLD. Was told to load them like the A-Max. Just did a spread a couple days ago. My findings are 43.9 gr of varget and OAL of 2.800. May try different OAL after I test the 208 XLD-M.