PDA

View Full Version : .308 model 11 to .300WSM

robtattoo
02-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Hope this is ok here....

Can anyone tell me, from experience, if it's possible to chamber a .300wsm in a .308 action length, or does it require a long action magazine length?

Hair_Boxers
03-01-2016, 12:03 AM
Action length is no problem. Both are short action cartridges.

One consideration to be aware of is that factory WSM's are built on large shank actions. I believe there are folks shooting them on small shanks though.

You may need to tweak the mag lips for proper feeding, as the WSM case is .555 in diameter vs. the .470 diameter on the .308.

Newtosavage
03-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Weird. I had this exact same question in my head earlier today. I have a model 11 in .308 that I'm probably not going to use much now that my 7x57 is shooting well, and I was wondering if it could be safely chambered in .300 WSM.

Hotolds442
03-01-2016, 04:35 AM
More than just a bolt head and barrel swap, but with the right combination of replacement parts, easily done.
No feed lip modification is necessary, the WSM cartridges feed just fine from a standard magazine.

Newtosavage
03-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Is it safe to build a .300 WSM in a standard model 11 small shank short action?

I am guessing you'd need the chambered barrel and new bolt face. Anything else?

WinnieTheBoom
03-01-2016, 10:57 AM
There's another current thread here detailing some of the differences between large and small shank actions...

The gist of it is that yes, it can physically be done, but it is generally not recommended. Most gunsmiths won't work on small shank RUM/WSM chamberings, and say that the large shank actions are much better suited for such high pressure cartridges. But it ultimately comes down to personal preference... There are plenty of guys that have built (and will continue to build) ultra/short mags on small shanks, but me? I'm a little more hesitant given that there's a controlled explosion occurring no more than 4 in. from your face.

There are arguments to be made for both sides of it, but I generally air more towards the side of, "if the manufacturer does it this way, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. I think I'll do it that way as well."

Newtosavage
03-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Okie dokie, that's good enough for me. I'll keep pondering...

moecarama
03-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Yes, it can be built on a small shank short action. I sacrificed my Model 12FV .308 for the build; sent the barrel off to be re-chambered in 300wsm and threaded 5/8x24 for a muzzle brake. The magnum bolt head can probably be purchased from SSS, mine was purchased from a member here; whom had shortened long action magnum bolt head.

Hair_Boxers
03-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Yes, it can be built on a small shank short action. I sacrificed my Model 12FV .308 for the build; sent the barrel off to be re-chambered in 300wsm and threaded 5/8x24 for a muzzle brake. The magnum bolt head can probably be purchased from SSS, mine was purchased from a member here; whom had shortened long action magnum bolt head.
Did you use a push feed mag bolthead, or control round feed bolthead?

They come from the factory with CRF, but I guess push feed would probably work. Might not feed as good?

Newtosavage
03-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Oh wow. It never even occurred to me that I could rechamber my .308 to .300 WSM. Intriguing.

Hotolds442
03-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Did you use a push feed mag bolthead, or control round feed bolthead?

They come from the factory with CRF, but I guess push feed would probably work. Might not feed as good?

I used a push feed mag bolt head. And no, they do not come from the factory with CRF, not since the advent of the centerfeed magazine design. And they feed just fine. The only parts I had to swap out was the bolt head, the barrel, and the firing pin. I've done 3 so far and all required the same components. I bought 2 WSM magazines, but when I accidentally loaded a standard .308 mag and had it feed reliably through several shooting sessions, I quit buying the WSM mags.