PDA

View Full Version : Should I have my action Timed and Trued?

idunham
02-29-2016, 02:46 PM
What are symptoms to indicate I need this action Timed and Trued?

I've never shot this gun/action, i'm just building off the action.

Should i have the action timed and trued? Or is there something I should look for to indicate I do or don't need it timed and trued?

GaCop
03-01-2016, 08:10 AM
A T&T job from SSS will make bolt lift much easier as Fred alters the cocking ramp geometry along with truing the face of the receiver. Well worth the work Fred does, go for it. Send him your barrel nut too so that can be trued to the action.

bearcatrp
03-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Will move my question.

idunham
03-01-2016, 08:29 AM
A T&T job from SSS will make bolt lift much easier as Fred alters the cocking ramp geometry along with truing the face of the receiver. Well worth the work Fred does, go for it. Send him your barrel nut too so that can be trued to the action.

Any idea what Fred charges for such services?

GaryB
03-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Here is a link to his site...

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

m12lrs
03-01-2016, 12:02 PM
It is my understanding when he trues the action he recuts the threads. After this is done the stock drop in barrels will no longer fit the new action threads.

timing I go with and while you are at it you might as well get their competition trigger.

idunham
03-01-2016, 12:07 PM
It is my understanding when he trues the action he recuts the threads. After this is done the stock drop in barrels will no longer fit the new action threads.

timing I go with and while you are at it you might as well get their competition trigger.

So the savage drop in barrel i have being made won't fit after he recuts the threads?

psharon97
03-01-2016, 12:21 PM
I just had a T&T job done with no barrel purchased from him. I ordered a 260 CBI barrel from Jim. Barrel screwed on just as well before the T&T job as well as after.

cwop
03-01-2016, 12:58 PM
My opinion first shoot the snot out of your rifle then if it doesn't suit send it to Fred a fantastic smith for Savage he is probably great for all others too. Just one of those people who are blessed with talent. As with any great smith be prepared for a wait as he is a one man shop and things he does is his secret!

I have 2 Savage target actions set up with new barrels one I bought new and the other used. The used one is fantastic for operating the bolt the new one is pretty rough to operate I haven't shot it much yet so I suppose there will be a break in period.

I do have a Savage that Rayhill did the accurizing package on I purchased it used and it is a nice running rifle.

You do have a break in time on any rifle!!

Good luck!!

m12lrs
03-01-2016, 02:00 PM
I just had a T&T job done with no barrel purchased from him. I ordered a 260 CBI barrel from Jim. Barrel screwed on just as well before the T&T job as well as after.

Glad to hear that.

I have two target actions. I am building on one and thought I would send the other to Fred. T and T and his trigger too. know I won't be seeing it again for a while. Been meaning to call him and ask about that thread cutting thing. Just haven't gotten around to it.

While he has it probably put one of those brux barrels on it too!

sharpshooter
03-02-2016, 01:20 AM

That would be a mis-understanding....I do NOT recut the receiver threads. It is not necessary, and would prevent you from doing what everyone likes to do....change their own barrels.

m12lrs
03-02-2016, 08:30 AM
That would be a mis-understanding....I do NOT recut the receiver threads. It is not necessary, and would prevent you from doing what everyone likes to do....change their own barrels.

Thank you for that reply. Clears up a misunderstanding I had from reading on the internet. Guess I need to vet my sources a little better.