PDA

View Full Version : New 338 build

HRstretch
02-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Purchased a Savage 111-FXP4 chambered in 7 MM Remington mag recently for my donor on next build. I plan on building a 338 Sin, from Devin at Sin Arms in South Dakota. Waiting on the pricing and will need a couple of things worked out, but think this will be a good fit for my arsenal. Once I get all the parts I will post progress photos of the build.

The barrel will be 26" in a varmint contour with a 1/11" twist to shoot the 250 grn Berger Elite Hunter. I do not foresee shooting the 300 grn bullets with this caliber and don't know how the 1/10" twist would effect the lighter bullets? I have not decided on a stock yet, so any suggestions will be appreciated. This gun will be used for mainly stand hunting, but it could accompany me into the foothills of southeast New Mexico for mule deer. With that said, I plan to keep the weight down as low as it can be, but not so light, it kicks my teeth in.

Scope will likely be a Vortex Viper or PST. I tend to favor the 6 X 24 type scopes, mainly because of hunting from fixed spots and usually have time to zoom in on my quarry for a finer aim point. Since I bought my first Vortex scope I have been a fan and have loved each product that I bought.

yorketransport
02-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Just a thought, but look into the 338/375 Ruger. Brass forming is a simple neck down from 375 Ruger brass which is readily available and reasonably priced. It uses a 338 RCM sizing die to neck size and shoulder bump and a 375 Ruger die to size the body when necessary. Load data is identical to the 330 Dakota and 340 Weatherby and so is performance when everything is equal. I've been running the 338/375 for a few years and have a few thousand rounds fired through about 6 different barrels of different lengths ranging from 18" up to 28". It's a great option for using readily available components and data to achieve the same practical results as the 338 Sin.

As for barrel choices, my favorite rifle barrel was a 22" # 3 contour Shilen with a 1-10" twist. I used this as a light weight hunting barrel on a gun that weighed about 8# ready to hunt. Recoil was a solid push but not anything I'd consider unpleasant. I shot mostly 225gr TTSX bullets out of that barrel at about 2880fps with upper level loads. The same load moves at 2760 from my 18" Savage Striker. Any of the 9" or 10" twists would be perfect for what you want. The 11" twist may hold you back if you decide to do want to play around with the heavier bullets.

For loads I think you're perfect with the 250gr bullets. I can get the 250gr MK up to about 2725 fps from my 18" barrel with the Ruger case, but they shoot better at about 2650fps. The 225s are a great flat shooting load for mid range work but the 250s work great for longer range.

Andrew

HRstretch
03-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks Andrew. Will look at the ballistic of the 338/375 Ruger . I was wondering if I should go with a 1&10 twist. Will have to discuss this with the gun smith.

geargrinder
03-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Go with the 10" twist. That way you won't be limiting your bullet selection.

The faster twist won't over-spin the lighter bullets.

Andrew is right on the money with the simplicity of the 338/375 Ruger. It's very close to the Sin dimensions. The Sin is based on the Ultramag case, just a bit fatter than the 375 Ruger.

The new line of Nosler's are almost identical to what Devin did with the Sin's.

shoalwater
03-04-2016, 12:17 AM
The Manners' EH1 stock would fit your needs well. Wide enough forearm to be a good solid base on the stand and light enough to carry as well. I would also suggest something like a heavy to bull Sporter contour with a brake if you plan to carry the rifle at all. As mentioned the the Nosler case is pretty darn close to the Sin and would be an option as well.

HRstretch
03-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Just left a message with Devin to call and get my CC number.

Here is the list of parts;
K&P 26" SS barrel (chambered in 338 Sin)
1/10" Twist
Varmint contour
Target recessed crown
Standard shank
Radial muzzle brake
330 Dakota brass
FL 338 Sin die
Shipping

All for under a grand, wahoo, can't wait to get this put together. Now to start looking for the glass. It will be a Vortex, likely a 6X24X50 Viper HS-T.

Still thinking on the stock, but have some time to digest my options.

HRstretch
04-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Just sent my action bolt and nut to Sin Arms so he can open up the bolt and head space the new barrel. Should be another 5 weeks before the barrels is in. Hope to be developing a load by this summer. If I get drawn for New Mexico deer this fall, it might get the nod for its first hunt.

Hotolds442
04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Still thinking on the stock, but have some time to digest my options.

Hopefully everything works out for you and you don't have more time than necessary.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?50250-Problem-with-Sin-Arms-Out-money-trying-to-get-it-back!

Mod note: There's nothing wrong with your computer or the above link. Paid members have access to the forum that the link is posted in. Another good reason to become a paid member, the Vendor Feedback forum can save you some time, money, or headaches when dealing with vendors.