PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger question

bearcatrp
02-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Have a 10T 308. should have left it alone but went ahead and adjusted the trigger to the lightest position. Was at the range yesterday and the trigger safety kept seing when I barely touch the trigger. Had to lift the bolt handle about 3 times per shot to get one shot now. I think he lowest setting is 2.5 lbs. So if I go back and turn the adjustment screw out one turn, will the trigger safety still do this? Or did I mess something up when I adjusted it to its lowest setting? Thanks.

savgebolt
02-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Bear ,,,, my buddies model 12 was doing something similar, in that it wouldnt fire , in the end , adjust the trigger back to a heavier pull weight , all is well,,,,, i cant speak to your question about the saftey thing,,,,, hope this helps

Robinhood
02-27-2016, 01:14 PM
If you don't have trigger to sear engagement when you close the bolt the sear will not catch. to test this you can push the trigger forward when closing the bolt. IF it fores or remains cocked then you are adjusted to light. Be careful as this is not really a safe condition. The fix is to tighten the spring until you have a slight pre-load. The other alternative is a lighter spring adjusted correctly.

bearcatrp
02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Bear ,,,, my buddies model 12 was doing something similar, in that it wouldnt fire , in the end , adjust the trigger back to a heavier pull weight , all is well,,,,, i cant speak to your question about the saftey thing,,,,, hope this helps

Like a trigger in trigger but the inner one is a safety measure. Will try to back it out one turn at a time and see. Thinking it was so sensitive the slightest touch set it off.

bearcatrp
02-27-2016, 01:59 PM
If you don't have trigger to sear engagement when you close the bolt the sear will not catch. to test this you can push the trigger forward when closing the bolt. IF it fores or remains cocked then you are adjusted to light. Be careful as this is not really a safe condition. The fix is to tighten the spring until you have a slight pre-load. The other alternative is a lighter spring adjusted correctly.

Will check this out. Thanks for the info

Vanilla Gorilla
02-27-2016, 02:22 PM
If you still end up wanting a lighter trigger pull you can always change the adjustment spring out for the Target model one that is rated at like 1.5lbs i believe. Should cost you somewhere around $10 plus shipping and takes less than 5 mins to take the rifle apart, change the spring, and put everything back together. Jim at NSS sells them.

AbitNutz
02-27-2016, 03:36 PM
I have one of the NSS springs and I can attest to the fact they work. Your only option beyond this is to replace the trigger. It's unfortunate that Savage doesn't sell their Target Accutrigger. I have a target Accutrigger in my Model 12 F t/r and it's the best factory trigger there is.

Robinhood
02-27-2016, 03:49 PM
I have a target Accutrigger in my Model 12 F t/r and it's the best factory trigger there is.
Interesting. I have done a lot to take up side play and improve the pivot pin slop also, it is still not the best IMHO. I have adjusted some Howa and Remington triggers that I liked much better than the TA Accutrigger. I like the SSS trigger much better than any savage trigger.

MS50
02-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Robinhood, please expand on your comment in #3. I recently adjusted my Mod12 trigger down. Using a spring gauge, the trigger releases at 1lb 12oz. I pushed forward on the trigger while dropping the bolt and the rifle neither fired or uncocked. I can't make the rifle fire by slamming the bolt. There is no change in function with side tension on the trigger. Since the trigger didn't uncock, should I consider the setting unsafe? The only adjustment I made was to the rear spring, using the factory supplied tool. Thanks.

bearcatrp
02-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Adjusted it back one turn. Dry firing it and safety doesn't kick in. Think I am good to go but won't know for sure until I get to the range again. Thanks for all the help.

Robinhood
02-27-2016, 06:35 PM
MS50, If you firing pin falls when you close the bolt it is because there is not enough spring preload to press the trigger against the sear. Depending on how much clearance there is the sear may not be getting caught by the trigger. By pushing the trigger forward you force the trigger against the sear so it catches. You should now have a cocked rifle. This is only a test to verify the springs lack of preload on the trigger. One can do this if they are having an issue with the trigger falling on bolt close. Did that clarify my statement?

MS50
02-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Robinhood yes it did. The test is used if I'm having problems with premature trigger fall. Thanks.