PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, from the mountain state! ;)

cruzin papa
07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi everone. I am Rick from West Virginia. I have been lurking around here for awhile and figured I would jump in and say hey. After 30+ years of hunting and gun ownership two weeks ago I got my first Savage and couldn't be happier with it. I bought a 114 American Classic in .270 cal. My last rifle was a Ruger Hawkeye all weather in 25.06 and I must say it was a very nice rifle, but I for the life of me couldn't warm up to that black stock. So off to the local gun shop I went. Well after looking at what seemed every wood stocked rifle they had I had it down to the 114 or a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter. I asked the owner to dry fire them( I know it will not hurt them but I think you should ask anyway). Well after that I knew I wanted the Savage, what a great trigger! Only thing that kind of worried me was when I looked into the chamber and saw the treads in the receiver but the owner explained that this is how Savage set the head space and the action was as strong as any out there. So I got him to mount and bore sight my Nikon Buckmaster scope for me. I stopped by Wal marts and got a box of 130gr. Remington Core Locks and a box of Fedaral 130gr. JHPs and a slip on limb saver. Anyway (sorry for rambling on) I got out yesterday to the range and must say this rifle shoots great. It seems to like the Core Locks better. Had another shooter down there he was shooting a Remington 700 CDL very nice looking rifle. Anyway after getting the scope sighted in 1.5" hi at 100 yards I got to shooting some 3 shot spreads to see what it's pattern looked like. I got to talking to the other fellow down there and he said he had heard that most Savages were pretty accurate but cheaply made but after looking over my 114 he was impressed with it. So we both got to a little shooting and after 3-3 string groups were shot from both rifles he said he was good and his 700 was dead on. So we walked up the range to check the targets. His was a grouping well 1.25" to 2" at 100 yards but mine did little better. Now this was off a good solid rest rest mind you. I had two groups right at .75 and one just a touch over .50 this was with the Core Locks the Federals shot around 1" to 1.25" I was pleased to say the lest ;D After this I cleaned the rifle and then got to shooting what I call hunting shots. Sitting, kneeling and my favorite leaning the rifle up against a tree. With this my groups opened up some of course but were still well under 2" and from my favorite stance just a hair over 1". I also would like to thank you all on here for letting me know about the limb saver great recoil pad my .270 didn't kick much more than the 25.06 does or did it's gone sold it to my boss for his son. Anyway thanks for all the info on this site and next trip to the range I'll try to gets some pics. Oh,,, the guy with the 700 well after we looked at the targets he didn't say much and left pretty quickly, seemed a little unhappy after I told him what I paid for the Savage. Thanks again Rick

dolomite_supafly
07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Welcome aboard. There is plenty of great people on here with wealth of knowledge, not just Savages but firearms and shooting in general.

Sounds like you found a decent Savage, most shoot really well. Yours definitely shoots well with factory ammo it likes, 1/2" would make it a great hunting rifle.

Now you need to spring for the $12 to get even more knowledge as well as access to the classifieds so you can improve on your already great Savage.

Dolomite