PDA

View Full Version : Fluted bolt body

e.maynard16
02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has posted about this so I'm sorry if I'm repeating this post.

I'm looking for a fluted bolt body and don't want to wait 8-12 weeks for PTG to make me one (I'm a lefty.. none in stock anywhere). Anyone know of any other companies? Anyone have any experience with SSS fluting? I'm not sure I like it...

Thanks,
Eric

doctnj
02-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Marty at twisted barrel. Look no further. Top notch and very reasonable price for the work that he does. Bout to go to bed or i would look up a link. Do a google search on twisted barrel in CO. Thats him. l have used hime more than once and woud go back again and again.

geargrinder
02-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Sin Arms is a vendor here on this site. He does great work at a very reasonable price.

I also have a SSS fluted bolt but I bought it from a member, not from SSS. The look and finish is great.

doctnj
02-24-2016, 08:00 AM
twistedbarrel.com

Even GA Precision uses him.

e.maynard16
02-24-2016, 08:47 AM
I'll have to give him a call. I may buy a factory new body and ship it to then. Wonder what the turn around time is. I really like PTGs idea but 8-12 weeks seem a bit excessive.

But, on the other hand, I have a McMillin on order and its ETA isn't until the first week of May. So at this point, 8 weeks is just a drop in the bucket.

doctnj
02-24-2016, 09:06 AM
I certainly don't know what his work load is but when he fluted my stuff it only took a couple weeks. Three at the most. I'm getting him to build an entire rifle from the ground up in the time frame you were quoted for just fluting. It's done and just waiting on a cadex chassis. They take about a month to ship from canada because they stop in every state on the way it seems.

e.maynard16
02-24-2016, 09:24 AM
The only way to know is to call I guess. Sounds like you got a nice rig in the workings. Post up some pictures when you get it.

doctnj
02-24-2016, 09:41 AM
I plan on it! It's for my wife and she elected to have the bolt, handle, and barrel spiral fluted, leaving the fluting silver and the high spots black. Should be sharp.

J.Baker
02-24-2016, 10:32 AM
I would avoid the PT&G bolt bodies as they're not surface hardened like the factory ones. That combined with their making them oversized (which offers no benefit and actually lessens the degree the bolt head can move) tends to make them grabby or sticky feeling when working the bolt.

e.maynard16
02-24-2016, 11:15 AM
I would avoid the PT&G bolt bodies as they're not surface hardened like the factory ones. That combined with their making them oversized (which offers no benefit and actually lessens the degree the bolt head can move) tends to make them grabby or sticky feeling when working the bolt.

I literally JUST read that elsewhere, too. They say if the action is relatively new, the bolt may have clearance issues. If I end up doing anything with it. I'll send it to that twisted barrel for fluting. In the meantime, I have a lot of other work to do. Shilen barrel should be here by Friday and I have some painting to do to the bottom metal and other things.

BTW, off topic a bit, but I picked up an extended magazine from Dark Eagle Customs. They're $100 but they look and feel FANTASTIC and snap right into the factory bottom. If you want an extended magazine and don't wanna drop $300+ for a new bottom metal and megazine, give the guy a shout. I'm VERY pleased.